The Welsh Government have extended the Pupil Development Grant Access Scheme to allow for assistance towards laptop and tablets where the school is unable to loan equipment to the family.
Awards can now be paid towards
- school uniform including coats and shoes
- school sports kit including footwear
- uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, Scouts, Guides, Cadets, martial arts, sports, performing arts or dance
- equipment, for example, school bags and stationery
- specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin, such as design and technology
- equipment for out of school hours trips such as outdoor learning, for example, waterproofs
- laptops and tablets (where the school is unable to loan equipment)
The criteria to be eligible for the payment is that the parent/guardian satisfies the criteria for free school meals, being in receipt of one of the following benefits or receiving help under the Immigration and Asylum Seekers Act 1999.
- Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
- Income Support
- Job Seekers Allowance (income based)
- Child Tax Credit provided that you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual household income, as assessed by HMRC that does not exceed £16,190.
- Pension Credit (Guarantee)
- Universal Credit provided your household has an annualised net earned income of no more than £7,400
However, please note that a transitional protection scheme is currently in place for free school meals.
This allows for an award of free school meals to continue where the parents/guardian were in receipt of the necessary benefits but then moved off these benefits. Unfortunately children in receipt of this transitional protected free school meals do not qualify for this payment.
If you are not sure if you meet the eligibility criteria please contact the benefit service on 01248 750 057 for further advice.
The criteria of the scheme has also been extended to include the following pupils who are eligible for free school meals
- entering Reception in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- entering Year 1 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- entering Year 3 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- entering Year 5 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- entering Year 7 in September 2021 at a rate of £200
- entering Year 8 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- entering Year 9 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- entering Year 10 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- entering Year 11 in September 2021 at a rate of £125
- for learners in a special school, special needs resource base or pupil referral unit and are aged 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15
- funding for looked-after children is available in every school year
The funding is also available to all looked after children of compulsory school age.
Please apply in writing directly to: LAC Education Liaison Officer, Social Services Department, Isle of Anglesey County Council, Council Offices, Llangefni LL77 7TW.
Funding of up to £125 is available for each eligible learner with the exception of those in Year 7. Eligible learners in Year 7 will be entitled to a maximum of £200.
How to claim
This payment scheme will open form 15 July 2021.
If your child/children is currently in receipt of free school meals (and not the transitional protection – see above) and you are receiving the payment in lieu of free school meals direct to your bank account, there is no need for you to take any action.
We have the necessary details to award the payment.
We aim to make payments as soon as possible. Some recent payments have been delayed and we apologise for any inconvenience.
If your child/children are not currently in receipt of free school meals and you are not in receipt of the payment in lieu of free school meals it will be necessary for you to complete an application form for the payment.
The form can be found below as a Word document or PDF. Please send completed forms to email@example.com
Again we aim to make payment within 1 month of the receipt of the claim. Should you not have received payment by the end of this period then please contact the benefit service on 01248 750 057.
Please note this scheme only remains open until 30 June 2022 and no payments will be made after this date.
Please note that if an award has already been made in respect of a child during this school year that no further award can be made.