This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Opening a bank account

At present, tenants in receipt of Housing Benefit do not have to pay their rent as the benefit is paid direct to the Council. When Universal Credit is introduced in October 2013 tenants in receipt of Housing Benefit will have the money paid into their bank account and will be expected to pay their own rent.

What is a basic bank account?

Basic bank accounts are the simplest type of bank account. They are designed for people who don’t want an overdraft, or can’t have one. They can be useful if you have a low credit score, need a way to receive benefit payments, want the benefits of being able to pay by direct debit or just want to control your pending.

  • You need to be at least 16 to open a basic bank account, although at some banks the minimum age is 18.
  • Basic bank accounts are very simple, so they don’t provide a cheque book or overdraft.

With most accounts, you can have wages, salary, benefits, pensions and tax credits paid straight into your account.

  • pay cheques in for free (as long as they’re not in foreign currency) – you’ll be able to spend the money after four working days
  • get money out at Post Offices and cash machines
  • pay your bills by Direct Debit or standing order
  • use bank counters to pay money in, take it out or check your account balance

Some accounts will also give you a debit card.

If you do not have a bank account, why not open one today with a Financial Inclusion Officer?

Council tenants contact 07776 047047 or 01248 752 267

Alternatively contact Môn Communities First for support with opening a Credit union account

Take a look at what your local banking branch has to offer:



Lloyds TSB


North Wales Credit Union


Yorkshire Building Society

Please make sure you read all the terms and conditions before opening a bank account.

Contact Housing Service

Housing Service
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Housing Customer Services: (01248) 752200
Council Housing Repairs and maintenance: 08081 68 56 52 (24 hours)
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Contact Finance Service

Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: (01248) 752658
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Email:Council tax/Business Rates
Email:Council tax benefits

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 14 August 2014 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?