This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Personal Independence Payment

Factors that may affect your entitlement

Factors that may affect your entitlement

Personal Independence Payment – an introduction

Fri, 06 Apr 2018 00:01:00 +0000

Money Advice Service

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is a benefit that helps with the extra costs of a long-term health condition or disability for people aged 16 to 64. It’s gradually replacing Disability Living Allowance (DLA). This page tells explains more about PIP, including how to claim it, how you’ll be affected if you already get DLA and how much you could get.

What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) helps with the extra costs of disability or long-term health conditions for people aged 16 to 64.

It is a non-means tested benefit. So getting it doesn’t matter how much you earn, or whether you have savings or capital.

Who can get PIP?

To get PIP, you must:

  • need help with everyday tasks or getting around, or both
  • have needed this help for at least 3 months and expect to need it for at least another 9 months (unless you are terminally ill with less than six months to live).

Children under 16

You can’t make a claim for PIP for children under 16.

Instead, you can still make a new claim for Disability Living Allowance for a child aged under 16 who has difficulty getting around or who needs more care than a child of the same age who doesn’t have a disability.

Read our guide Disability benefits and entitlements for children

Find out more about Disability Living Allowance for children on the GOV.UK website.

PIP rates

Personal Independence Payment is made up of two components:

  • The Mobility component might be paid if you need help getting about.
  • The Daily Living component might be paid if you need help with carrying out everyday activities, such as washing and dressing.

Each component can be paid at either a standard or an enhanced rate.

Depending on how your condition affects you, it’s possible to get one component or both, and either the standard or the enhanced rate.

This is worked out using the results of an assessment.

  Standard weekly rate (2018-19) Enhanced weekly rate (2018-19)
Mobility component £22.65 £59.75
Daily living component £57.30 £85.60

How to claim Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

Claim by telephone by calling the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) on 0800 917 2222. Other ways to claim can be found on GOV.UK.

If you’re in Northern Ireland call nidirect - for new claims, call 0800 012 1573.

They will then check you’re eligible to claim. If you’re eligible, DWP will send you a form called ‘How your disability affects you’.

It is very important you fill in this form carefully and give as much detail as you can about your condition. The Citizens Advice website has a helpful article on help filling in your PIP claim form.

When DWP receives this form they will decide whether you need a medical assessment. Or they could decide to ask your health or social care worker for information.

If you need an assessment, this is usually a face-to-face consultation with an independent, trained health professional.

The assessment is designed to work out what your individual needs are.

It will focus on how well you can carry out a range of activities you need to do to cope with everyday life. The Citizens Advice website offers guidance on preparing for your PIP assessment.

After your assessment, you’ll get a letter with a decision about whether you can get PIP and how much it will be.

If you get PIP, your award will be regularly reassessed to see if your condition has changed.

Download more information from GOV.UK explaining the assessment criteria for Personal Independence Payment.

If you’re already claiming Disability Living Allowance

If you’re already claiming Disability Living Allowance (DLA) you’ll get a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions (or the Social Security Agency in Northern Ireland) inviting you to make a claim for Personal Independence Payment.

This will happen even if you currently have an indefinite or lifetime award of DLA.

Use the PIP checker on the GOV.UK website to find out when your DLA claim will end and when you might be invited to make a new claim for PIP.

If you’re aged 65 or over and getting DLA

If you’re aged 65 or over and already getting Disability Living Allowance, you won’t be affected by the changes and will continue to get DLA.

Moving from DLA to PIP

The Department for Work and Pensions expects most people who are getting DLA should qualify for PIP.

However, the two benefits have different qualifying conditions, so it’s possible you might be entitled to a higher or lower rate of payment, or you won’t be entitled to anything.

Read more about what to do if your award changes in our guides:

How to challenge a PIP decision

If you’re unhappy about a decision on your PIP claim, you can challenge it - but it’s important to follow the correct process.

Find out more in our guide ‘How to appeal against a disability benefits decision’.

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

Contact Housing Service

Housing Service
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Housing Customer Services: (01248) 752200
Council Housing Repairs and maintenance: 08081 68 56 52 (24 hours)
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Contact Finance Service

Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: (01248) 752658
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Email:Council tax/Business Rates
Email:Council tax benefits

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 28 August 2015 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?