Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Frequently asked questions

The Learner Travel (Wales) Measure 2008 stipulates that free transport will only be provided to learners of compulsory school age (up to Year 11) if the distance from home to their nearest suitable school is at least:

(a) 2 miles for Primary School pupils;
(b) 3 miles for Secondary School pupils.

You may also access our current Transport Policy

All calculations of distance will be made using the Authority’s chosen software package.

The route to school will be measured from the home boundary to the nearest school gate, and may include public footpaths and other pathways, as well as adopted roads. It is not necessarily the shortest distance by road.

Hazardous routes are assessed from the pick-up point/bus stop to the school (not from the home address). Should the route be deemed hazardous after assessment then the Local Authority will provide transport from the closest pick up point. However, should the route be deemed hazardous it would remain the parent’s responsibility to arrange that their child/children travel up to a distance of 2 miles to meet any transport provided by the Local Authority. There is no expectation that all children should walk to the pick-up points, as in some cases this will be inappropriate. They must also ensure there is a responsible adult to meet their child on the return journey, if the age or needs of the child call for the provision of a Passenger Assistant.

Please email so that the Authority can arrange to investigate and determine whether any additional or alternative transport arrangements are required.

Once your application has been authorised, the application will be passed on to the Transportation Section for processing and you will be contacted by either the Taxi Operator or the Transportation Section on the telephone number you have provided once the arrangements have been finalised. Should you have any queries in the meantime, please contact 01248 752458.

If your child is entitled to free transport and, providing your child still attends the same school and resides at the same home address, there is no need to apply annually for a new bus pass. The Authority issues bus passes which are valid for 5 years for those pupils who are entitled to free transport - please check the expiry date on your child's pass.

Please follow the link below in order to complete an application.

School Bus Passes

Once you have received notification confirming either your child’s eligibility for school transport or your purchase of a vacant seat, the Transportation Section will then process your bus pass within 5 working days. The bus pass will then be sent via second class post to your home address along with the relevant school bus timetable. This pass will be valid for the duration of your child’s compulsory education so long as they remain eligible for home to school transport. Should you have any queries about the arrangements please contact the Transportation Section by e-mailing or by calling 01248 752456.

If your child is transferring to the secondary sector and you live further than 3 miles away from their catchment area school, there is no need to make an application for a free bus pass as the Learning Service will advise the Transportation Section of your child’s eligibility for a free bus pass. Should you have any queries, please contact the Transportation Section on 01248 752458/752456.

Parents / carers have the right to express a preference for admission of their child to any school, subject to availability of places. However, if the application is accepted, the learner will lose their entitlement to free transport if it is not their nearest suitable school or, the designated secondary school for the primary feeder school they attended.

The Authority does not have a responsibility to provide transport for pupils who choose to attend a school in a different Local Authority. In such circumstances, it will be the parents’ responsibility to ensure safe transport of their child to and from the school.

No. The Authority does not provide transport for children attending nursery school or nursery classes at the age of 3 or 4. Transport is provided for eligible children from the commencement of the school year in which the child attains the age of 5 and starts full-time compulsory education, normally in reception class.

Applications for transport in primary schools are made through the school – applications for taxi transport made directly to the Authority by parents/carers will not be accepted. Please contact the person responsible for transport in your school to discuss further.

No. The Authority will not provide transport to or from out of school clubs (i.e. breakfast club, after school clubs etc.) or extra-curricular activities that fall outside the statutory curriculum. It is the parent’s / carer’s responsibility to ensure that appropriate transport arrangements are put in place if these services are accessed.

No. Free transport is only available for compulsory school age children, it is not available for post-16 learners (i.e. after Year 11). However, students may be able to purchase a Vacant Seat Pass from the Local Authority. They will be required to pay a fee (the fee is reviewed annually).

No. College students’ passes are issued by the appropriate site of Grŵp Llandrillo Menai (Llangefni, Bangor and Glynllifon) [01248 370125].

In cases where a learner who is in receipt of free school transport, moves home part way through the academic year, transport will cease if they no longer attend their nearest suitable school.

No. Home to school transport is provided for eligible learners between their home address or allocated pick-up point, and the qualifying school where they are registered. Free transport is not provided from or to addresses of other family members or friends, parents’ work addresses or child care facilities of any sort.

The Local Authority will make suitable and relevant educational provision for all children with additional learning needs to ensure they are able to develop to their maximum potential.

The level of need is assessed by relevant professionals in the Gwynedd & Mon ALN & Inclusion Service, and this informs the type of transport provided. Transport will then be provided in line with the advice given and reviewed on a regular basis.

If a child has a Statement of Special Educational Needs or an Individual Development Plan (IDP), school transport may be included as part of the non-educational provisions made for the child as part of their statement/IDP Plan. If it is, then transport will be provided.

If school transport is not included in a child’s Statement/IDP Plan then they may still be entitled to home to school transport under the policy provided that the school they are attending is the nearest appropriate school with a place or if they have attended a designated primary feeder school for a particular secondary school; subject to the eligibility criteria being met. Any request for transport will be made through a review of the pupil's needs by the school. The school will then submit the application for consideration to the Moderation Panel through the Individual Development Plan. Please contact your school’s ALN Co-ordinator in order to discuss the matter further.

Please be advised that free transport may not be provided if parents / carers exercise their right to preference of school which is not the nearest suitable school.

Where spare seats are available on a school bus, these can be sold to parents of children who are not entitled to free transport. This is called concessionary travel. Further information can be found here

Please notify the Authority whenever there is a problem so that we can follow up your concern immediately. To submit your concern please contact the Transportation Section by emailing / or telephone 01248 752458 / 01248 752455. You may also raise any concerns with the Learning Service by emailing

Any appeal must be made in writing and addressed to:

Learning Service
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW

You may also forward your request by emailing stating your reasons for the appeal and providing any relevant documentation to support your case.

If your child's travel pass has been lost or damaged it must be replaced immediately. Please contact the Transportation Section via email or telephone ( / 01248 752456.

For enquiries regarding taxi transport: 01248 752458
For enquiries regarding bus passes: 01248 752456
For enquiries regarding buses: 01248 752455

General enquiries or concerns can also be emailed to the Learning Service via


Necessary cookies are required for basic functions such as page navigation and managing content delivery. The website cannot function properly without these cookies and cannot be disabled.



Preference cookies enable the website to remember your language preference or optional controls.



Analytical and statistics cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website by collecting and reporting information anonymously.