Skip to content

Isle of Anglesey County Council

Public Protection COVID-19 FAQs

Business Closure

Since the 23rd March 2020, to reduce the risk of spreading the virus, the UK Government instructed businesses to close and cease providing services or to operate under strict restrictions.

Businesses which must close include premises selling food and drink for consumption on the premises (pubs, cafés, restaurants) places of worship and entertainment premises, such as cinemas, theatres, betting shops, museums, bingo halls, swimming pools, amusement arcades etc. Also businesses deemed to be non-essential, including car showrooms, markets, tattoo and piercing shops, hair, nail and beauty shops and massage parlours.

Hotels, B&B, holiday sites, camping sites and other holiday accommodation (including AirBnB) must close until advised otherwise by the welsh government, unless they are given approval from the local authority to be used to house key workers. Applications must be made to

Other businesses, or parts of businesses deemed ‘essential’ and specified in the legislation, including petrol stations, food or drink retailers (for consumption off the premises), post offices, homeware / building suppliers, agricultural supplies, pharmacies, banks, funeral directors, laundrettes, taxis etc. May continue to trade provided that social distancing measures are adhered to (for customers and employees).

Any business not listed as essential, offering goods for sale or hire, must cease to operate and cease to admit persons to the business premises, with the exception of making deliveries (when social distancing applies) or dealing with enquiries over the phone or website.

Online sales are permitted provided the entire transaction (order payment and delivery) is concluded by distant selling online/by phone, with no contact and is in compliance with ‘Distance Selling Regulations’, pre contract information and cooling off period where applicable.

As of the 11th May 2020, any business can offer a click and collect service provided social distancing measures are implemented to protect both consumers and staff. If a business is unable to ensure social distancing for this service they must close or undertake home delivery only.

If you have concerns that a business on Anglesey is operating when it shouldn’t you can report it to the local authority by emailing or to the local police by calling 101.

If you are concerned that neighbours are breaking lockdown rules by having parties and gatherings, you should report it to the police by calling 101.

Although there is no restriction on advertising items for sale or free on Facebook. Social Distancing must be adhered to and non-essential travel is prohibited.

Food businesses

Food retailers including supermarkets, food markets, convenience stores, and corner shops may remain open. This includes off-licenses and newsagents.

Cafés or canteens at hospitals, care homes or schools; prison and military canteens; services providing food or drink to the homeless can also remain open.

Workplace canteens can remain open if there is no other practical alternative.

Public houses and bars including bars in hotels or members clubs, restaurants and cafés must close but may operate a food delivery and takeaway service.

Food deliveries are likely to become more common. There are a number of considerations you need to be aware of:

  • You must already be registered as a food business with your local authority to enable you to provide a delivery service.
  • You must ensure all food delivered does not become unsafe or unfit to eat. You should review your food safety management systems to ensure you have identified critical safety controls involved in delivering the food.
  • Food that needs to be refrigerated or kept cool must be kept below 8 degrees C by use of an insulated box with a coolant gel or in a cool bag.
  • Hot food should be kept above 63 degrees C.
  • You should monitor all your controls, you can use the Safer Food Better Business Records to help
  • We recommend that you keep your delivery distances and time short
  • Allergens – There is a wealth of advice for businesses on allergen management on the Food Standards Agency website
  • Those venues offering takeaway or delivery services must not include alcoholic beverages if they do not have a licence to permit alcoholic sales off the premises.

Scientific advice is that it is very unlikely that COVID-19 can be spread through food, but, if you are changing how you are used to operating then you should think through the hazards and ensure that you have control measures in place.

  • Limiting contact when delivering orders will help keep everyone healthy, so you could consider leaving deliveries at the door of your customer, rather than handing it over to them. Knock on the door, step back the safe recommended distance and wait nearby for your customer to collect it. (Please note the safe distance is continuously reviewed – ensure you visit the government COVID -19 website link below to obtain the current advice)
  • Take payments over the phone or the internet rather than taking a cash payment.

Infection Control

  • You have responsibilities to ensure food handlers are fit for work under the food hygiene regulations and you also have a general duty to ensure the Health, Safety, and Welfare of persons in your employment and members of the public.
  • Relevant staff must be provided with clear instructions on any infection control policy in place, and any person so affected and employed in a food business and who is likely to come into contact with food is to report immediately the illness or symptoms, and if possible their causes, to the food business operator.

The Government have issued guidance on COVID-19 for employees and businesses which can be accessed via this link;

For these services:

  • Businesses are encouraged to take orders in advance online or by telephone
  • Providing customers with staggered collection times and discouraging customers from entering the premises until their order is ready will help ensure social distancing
  • Customers whose orders are ready should enter one at a time to collect orders and make payments
  • Businesses should discourage crowding outside the premises. Where possible, use queue management systems to maintain the 2 metres separation
  • Businesses must not provide seating areas, indoors or outdoors, for customers to consume food or drink
  • Where possible implement a one way system where customers enter through one door and leave through another to avoid passing by other customers

Prepacked food should already be labelled with all the required information in the correct format and can therefore be sold in-store or online without doing anything further. Where food is sold loose you will have to provide some basic labelling information. This will include information on food allergies.

Advice on food labelling can be found at

Holiday accommodation

You can sort your own arrangements out but you will need to ensure that key workers fall within recognized categories.  Information can be found on the Welsh Government website:

Either way, you will require an exemption from the Isle of Anglesey County Council.  Information and Forms can be sourced from:

CIANDO are operating a scheme to provide accommodation for key workers -

Alternatively, your employer may already have links with a suitable accommodation supplier.

There may be legitimate reasons for holiday accommodation to be occupied, with the approval of the local authority. If you have concerns that holiday accommodation on Anglesey is occupied you can report it to the local authority by emailing or to the local police by calling 101

Second homes

Although the current government guidelines advise people to stay in lockdown at their primary address, this was not always the case. There may be legitimate reasons for second homes to be occupied, either by persons already at the property when lockdown was started, or the accommodation has been approved by the local authority for use for key workers.

If you have concerns that individuals are breaking lockdown rules to travel to second homes on Anglesey you can report it to the local police by calling 101.

Social distancing

Businesses open to the public – must take steps to ensure social distancing of customers; this could include but not limited to - limiting the number of customers in the shop, marking 2m intervals on the floor and displaying posters.

Employees – where employees are unable to work from home, employers must where possible ensure social distancing measures are in place; this could be but not limited to, adjusting shifts to minimise peak times at changeover, ensuring 2m between workstations, use of protective screens, contactless payment. Where given the nature of the work it is not possible to ensure social distancing, e.g. personal care, a risk assessment must be undertaken and all reasonable steps must be taken to minimise contact, reduce risks and ensure appropriate PPE is provided in accordance with World Health Organisation guidelines.

If you have concerns that a business is disregarding Social Distancing requirements, you can report it to the local authority by emailing  or to the police by calling 101.

In the first instance you should raise your concerns with your line manager, if you are still concerned you can report it to the local authority by emailing


Coronavirus is a worry for us all. Unfortunately, there are fraudsters and scammers who want to profit from our fears and steal your money.

Say NO to cold-calling strangers               

They may offer to shop, get your meds or disinfect your home. They may be selling cheap sanitisers, face masks, virus testing kits or remedies. They could be collecting for a Covid-19 vaccine or offering loans to help you. Say NO.

Where possible ask family, friends or neighbours (that you have known since before the Pandemic) If this is not an option or they too are isolating, contact Isle of Anglesey County Council on 01248 750057 option 4, to access the local support system in your area, lines are open 7 days a week 10am – 4pm.

Keep your personal details PRIVATE      

Don’t give personal information to anyone calling, texting or emailing you claiming to be your bank, energy company, local authority or other supplier. Don’t open email attachments from strangers. Don’t click links in emails to ‘update/confirm details’. Criminals use tricks to steal your details and money.

Be WISE to fake information and services

Fraudsters are setting up new businesses. Fake coronavirus websites to steal personal information from your computer, fake refund services for cancelled holidays and purchases, fake or overpriced sanitisers and face masks, fake virus testing kits and miracle cures. Don’t trust them.

Contact your bank, on the telephone number on your card or in person in your local branch.

Report it to Action Fraud – by calling 0300 123 2040 or online

If you’re not sure who to trust, or you need further advice call Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline - 0808 223 1133


Although on occasion’s price rises may be justified, it is important that they are not being used unfairly to take advantage of the current pandemic merely to increase profits. It’s important to report overpricing in both shops and in online marketplaces. If you come across examples when shopping, it’s worth making a note of the price, the shop, the product and the date.  If shopping online consider taking a screenshot of the listing, including the price, the seller name and the date. 

Please report any concerns or complaint regarding overpricing of goods associated with the COVID 19 pandemic, either by calling the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 08082231133 or by visiting the CMA (Competition and Markets Authority) website at to report a business. If you have concerns about the pricing practices of a retailer on Anglesey you can report to Anglesey Trading Standards via

Although there is no current legal cap on prices, limiting the amount of profit that can be made, Regulators are monitoring price increases for possible profiteering. If identified as a problem, the CMA will advise Government to consider taking direct action to regulate prices by introducing new laws. Price fluctuations are caused by supply and demand, however, any profit margins on products, at retail or wholesale level, should remain consistent with the profit margin before the pandemic. Significantly increasing your prices and profit margins at this time may be deemed an “Aggressive Practice” under Regulation 7 of the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) Chief Executive Andrea Coscelli has said: “We urge retailers to behave responsibly throughout the coronavirus outbreak and not to make misleading claims or charge vastly inflated prices. We also remind members of the public that these obligations may apply to them too if they resell goods, for example on online marketplaces."

Please report any concerns you have in relation to your supplier/wholesaler effecting price hikes which you consider to be unfair or profiteering to CMA (Competition and Markets Authority) on their website at

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - masks etc.

Yes! This is a complex area of legislation. There are various strict safety standards which must be met before putting such an item on the market in the UK. Depending on the nature of the product it will fall within the remit of different regulators: ‘Medical devices’ – intended to protect others from the wearer-are regulated by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA), Personal Protective Equipment for the employees including Healthcare workers (protecting the wearer) or hand sanitisers deemed to be biocides are regulated by the Health and Safety Executive, whilst Personal Protective equipment supplied to the general Public or hand sanitisers which are deemed cosmetic products fall within the remit of the Office of Product Safety and Standards and the local Trading Standards Service. Each product and regulator has their own standards and procedures to ensure compliance, and anything to protect from Covid19/coronavirus must be approved by the World Health Organisation.

As such if you are based on Anglesey and considering diversifying please seek advice & guidance before doing anything by contacting

Although the UK government are now advising the public to use ‘face coverings’ (not surgical masks or respirators) on public transport (where social distancing is not possible), the Welsh Government advice remains the same that face coverings are not required for the general public.

Cloth Face coverings can however be made and sold by anyone, they must;

  • Cover from the bridge of the nose to under the chin
  • Fit snugly but comfortably against the side of the face
  • Be secured with ties or ear loops
  • Include multiple layers of fabric
  • Allow for breathing without restriction
  • Be able to be washed and machine dried without damage or change to the shape

However, face masks (surgical and respirators) are Personal Protective Equipment, are regulated and must comply with the relevant safety standards and approved before placing for sale in the UK, to ensure they provide the right protection.

As such you can make simple ‘face coverings’ but not ‘face masks’.

However, it is important that individuals wearing cotton face covering are aware that they only offer little protection against the wearer spreading the virus and should be washed after use. Such coverings do not replace the need for washing hands and are not as effective as social distancing for preventing the spread of the virus, so should only be used as last resort where social distancing is impossible.

It is very much appreciated that everyone wants to do their part and help as much as possible in this pandemic. However, healthcare workers need masks of a certain standard to protect others and themselves.

Although cotton masks may offer limited protection for others from the wearer, this is not sufficient for healthcare workers. There is a risk that if individuals wear cotton masks they may think that it offers more protection than it actually does and become complacent, reducing hand washing or allowing used masks to be in contact with other surfaces, thus increasing their risk of contracting or spreading the virus.

Care is needed to ensure you use the approved design for BCUHB which details material and print specifications, instructions and standard operating procedures to try to ensure consistency. A full face shield it offers protection from splashes or particles, given the Covid 19 virus is spread predominantly through droplets of saliva, it would offer a level of protection. WHO guidelines (Infection prevention and control during health care when COVID-19 is suspected Interim guidance 19 March 2020) recommend that Health Care Workers wear face shields to protect mucous membranes from contamination. There are various organisations that coordinate the production and donation of these face shields, it is recommended that you contact such an organisation to ensure you are manufacturing to the correct specification.

PPE should only be used as a last resort, where the work cannot be done from home and social distancing is not possible. Once you have undertaken risk assessments and made all reasonable social distancing adjustments, identify the jobs which will require PPE. In the first instance check the World Health Organisation Guidelines to determine what type of mask/ apron etc you need for the type of work involved. It is important that you get the right type of protection for the identified risk, not all masks are the same.

Where possible try to use an established supply chain, if they were supplying PPE before the pandemic they are more likely to have stock which complies with the UK Safety Standards. Try to avoid suppliers that have only started up recently in response to the pandemic, as there are a lot of criminals looking to profit from public fear.

Detailed guidance for businesses on PPE for Covid19 is available from the Office of Product Safety and Standards:

COVID tests

There are a variety of tests available but it is important to consider what they test for.

Antibody testing offered by some companies, will confirm whether or not the individual has developed antibodies for the virus, thus suggesting that they have already had the virus. However, the World Health Organisation has advised that as yet there is no evidence to support that individuals who have developed antibodies are then immune, and as such they could still catch it again.

Alternatively, NHS tests undertaken at hospitals or official test centres, test for the presence of the virus . If you test positive for the virus, you are required to self-isolate to prevent spreading to others.

As such it is likely that an individual could test negative for antibodies and positive for the virus, as the antibodies have not yet been developed in response to the virus.

Official advice is that if you have symptoms you should self-isolate for 7 days (and the rest of the household for 14 days). However, key workers are now able to be tested by NHS for the presence of the virus, so that you know if you do indeed have the virus and need to isolate.

Excess waste

No. We ask people to be considerate, as many people are at home, some who may be ill at home and self-isolating. Should bonfires get out of control, it would add to the enormous pressure on our emergency services. The general consensus and common sense approach is to recycle as much as you can. The bin contractors will take a reasonable amount of surplus recyclable waste if separated appropriately in clear bags.

Current advice about the Waste Management Service on Anglesey can be accessed on the Council’s website and is updated regularly. Look for ‘Covid-19 (Coronavirus) information’ on the home page and look under ‘Waste and Recycling’.

Whilst the Council’s Amenity Site is still closed, as an alternative, you should consider using a “licensed waste carrier” to get rid of your excess waste.  Beware of rogue traders advertising on social media. If you need to check if the waste carrier is licensed, you may contact National Resources Wales (NRW) on 0300 065 3000 or

If a fire is out of control and a risk to life or property – call the emergency services on 999.

Smoke emitted from premises so as to be prejudicial to health or a nuisance can be classed as a statutory nuisance. If you are unable to resolve issues with neighbours, persistent problems can be reported to the Environmental Health Section by completing the online report form.  Please follow the link Bonfires to report via AppMon or email

Further advice about statutory nuisance can be found on these pages: What is statutory nuisance? and How to deal with a statutory nuisance

While this regulation change enables councils to re-open sites, each local authority will use its own discretion to decide when it is safe to do so in line with the situation in their area.

No dates have yet been agreed on by Anglesey Council, and any reopening would be centred on strict conditions and social distancing guidelines.

Officers are developing a cautious and gradual approach to bringing services back to normal over the coming months. However, any decision to reopen these sites or buildings must be right for Anglesey and its communities. The health of residents and our staff will come first and foremost in our thinking and planning.

Members of the public will be kept updated with further information published on the County Council’s website before opening dates are agreed.

Pest control 

In order for rats to establish on your property they will need 3 things

  1. Food (bird food, pet food, spilt food, overflowing bins, dog faeces etc.) -  Remove all food sources, limit pets if fed outside to a certain time and remove the dish until next feeding time
  2. Water (ponds, water dishes for birds and pets etc.) - Were possible remove anything which may collect or hold water or overturn so that they cannot collect water
  3. Shelter (Over grown and cluttered gardens can provide excellent cover for the rats to move freely) Try keep the edges of your garden as clear as possible as Rats do not like crossing open ground unless they need to (food etc.), they much prefer edges or overgrown shrubs were they can freely roam unnoticed away from any predators

If you remove as many of these as possible and they will naturally move on, check that they have not already established by looking for any burrows usually around borders/edges

Scratching noises

  1. Try access were you are hearing the noises, this may require lifting floorboards etc. and check for droppings, sometimes the noises can be mistaken for birds trapped or nesting in loft
  2. Vacuum any droppings and check in a day or two to see how many rodents are present (small amount typically one or two large amounts several)
  3. Try find any access points and block, Rats need the size of a 10p piece and Mice about the size of a pen
  4. For one or two Rodents use a trap any more than one or two it is recommended to place rodenticide safely and according to the instructions (these can be bought in local hardware stores, farm shops and some high street shops and supermarkets etc.) 
  1. Try to access where you are hearing the noises, this may require lifting floorboards etc. and check for droppings, sometimes the noises can be mistaken for birds trapped or nesting in loft
  2. Vacuum any droppings and check in a day or two to see how many rodents are present (small amount typically one or two large amounts several)
  3. Try find any access points and block, Rats need the size of a 10p piece and Mice about the size of a pen
  4. For one or two Rodents use a trap any more than one or two it is recommended to place rodenticide safely and according to the instructions (these can be bought in local hardware stores, farm shops and some high street shops and supermarkets etc.)

Contact your Environmental Health department for further advice and also your Pest Control contractors for additional visits. Businesses on Anglesey can email