Skip to content

Isle of Anglesey County Council

About Supporting People

Each local authority in Wales has a supporting people team who are responsible for monitoring, reviewing and developing housing related support services.

Support means to help you do something, rather than doing it on your behalf, ‘doing with’ rather than ‘doing for’. Examples of such support include:

  • help to maintain tenancies
  • help with managing money /paying bills
  • help with keeping your home safe
  • help to access education and employment and keep appointments
  • help with setting up benefits and finances
  • help to understand and filling in forms
  • help to join local community and groups
  • help to rebuild relationships
  • help to find you suitable accommodation

Support can be delivered through floating support services OR supported accommodation.

Floating Support is a flexible service which helps people secure and maintain their tenancy.

Floating Support provides practical support and advice to vulnerable people within their own homes and the community.

The purpose of supported accommodation is to enable people to live as independently as possible within their community, with a real focus on social inclusion.

Supported accommodation services include hostels, refuges, sheltered housing extra-care accommodation, or self-contained flats. A tenant would not be living at a supported accommodation property in the first place unless they needed support.

How to access Supporting People 

Supporting People Single Point of Access (SPOA) 

The Single Point of Access referral pathway for Supporting People Service carries out checks relating to suitability and eligibility and then directs the referral to the most appropriate support provider.

The service provider will then make contact with the person and arrange for an assessment to be completed, where the level and type of support to be provided will be agreed between the vulnerable person and the provider. If you or someone you know may be in need of Housing Related support than you can:

  • Ask your social worker or health professional, or any other professional from agencies such as Housing, Probation, Education or Department of Works and Pensions  to make contact 
  • Ask a friend or member of your family to make contact 
  • Make contact yourself by emailing or completing a referral form

Single Pont of Access (SPoA) contact details

Tel: 01248 751937

OR visit the Council Offices to speak to an Officer:

SPoA Officer
Housing Department
Main Council Offices
LL77 7TW