Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Covid-19 (coronavirus) information

This page provides regular updates in respect of changes to County Council services as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic, as well as links to important information from both UK and Welsh Government and guidance from Public Health Wales.

Alert level 0

Alert level 0 guidance for the public from the Welsh Government.

People will be required to show the NHS COVID Pass to prove they are either fully vaccinated or have a recent negative lateral flow test to attend:

  • nightclubs
  • indoor non-seated events where over 500 people are mixing closely for prolonged periods
  • outdoor non-seated events where over 4,000 people are mixing closely for prolonged periods
  • any event of more than 10,000 people

Alert level 0 guidance for employers, businesses and organisations from the Welsh Government.

Answers to frequently asked questions about alert level 0, from the Welsh Government.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance from the Welsh Government.

Contact us

In order to help us meet demand, we would kindly ask that you contact us via the appropriate email in the first instance.

However, you can ring the main Council phone number 01248 750057 and listen to the available options.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Main reception:

Housing matters (for Council tenants): /


Social Services (Children):

Social Services (Adults):

Public Protection / Environmental Health:

Trading Standards:


Free school meals:



Planning enquiries:

Waste and Recycling:


Economic Development - Grants:


Council Tax / Business Rates:



Registering to vote:

Press and Media enquiries:

Important Notice

Please be aware that the Council may take longer to respond to any correspondence or complaints, due to staff shortages and the Council’s response to Covid-19.

Thank you for your understanding


Please see our business support page.

For more information see guidance for tourism and hospitality businesses.

We work closely with business on Anglesey to ensure that measures are in place to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

If you have any concerns about a business in breach of Covid-19 regulations, please contact us.


For the latest advice for visitors go to: Visit Wales

Health and government advice

Find the latest on vaccine centres, online appointment booking, eligibility and answers to your questions on the Betsi Cadwaladr website.

Details of the nearest mobile test centre are available on the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board website.

Guidance on protecting people defined on medical grounds as clinically extremely vulnerable from coronavirus (COVID-19) – previously known as ‘shielding’


The NHS COVID-19 app is an important part of our Test Trace Protect programme to control the spread of Covid-19.

The app will be used, alongside traditional contact tracing, to notify users if they come into contact with someone who later tests positive for coronavirus.

The app allows people to report symptoms, order a coronavirus test, check in to venues by scanning a QR code and it helps the NHS trace individuals that may have coronavirus.

Find out more..

For the latest health related advice, visit: Public Health Wales

For the latest Welsh Government Coronavirus advice and announcements: Welsh Government

For the latest UK Government advice and announcements:

Welsh Government: Don’t forget to pack your Covid test, if you’re holidaying in Wales

Test, Trace, Protect is the Welsh Government's strategy for testing the general public and tracing the spread of coronavirus in Wales.

Benefits, finance and employment

If you have been contacted by NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect service (TTP) and been told to self-isolate, the Welsh Government have decided that you may be entitled to financial support. 

Financial support for individuals from the Welsh Government.

If you have any questions about your Council Tax or Business Rate bill please read our Frequently Asked Questions page here: 

In the current situation please can all letters / documentation in relation to Housing Benefit / Council Tax Reduction claims be emailed to

If you do not have access to email then you can continue to send these in to the Council office, but please be aware that there could be a delay in processing the post and returning any necessary documentation to you.

If we need further information from you we will contact you and this will be by either email or phone.

We have put together some benefits frequently asked questions to help you.

The Welsh Government website has advice and guidance for self-employed people affected by Covid-19.

If you need welfare and benefit advice please call the JE O’Toole Centre on 01407 760208 where telephone appointments can be arranged.


The Discretionary Assistance Fund provides 2 types of grant that you don’t need to pay back.

  • Emergency Assistance Payment (EAP) – a grant to help with essential costs after an emergency or if you experiencing extreme financial hardship.
  • Individual Assistance Payment (IAP) – a grant to help you or someone you care for live independently. Applications for the IAP must be supported by an approved partner or they will automatically be refused.  

For more information visit their website through the link above or call 0800 859 5924.

What to do if you cannot afford to top up your prepayment meter

If you have been using more fuel due to having to stay at home and cannot afford to top up your meter you need to contact your supplier.  This also applies if you have been affected by the coronavirus or are following government guidance to stay at home and 'self-isolate'.

Your supplier contact details can be found on their website or on your bill.

Visit the Citizens Advice Website below for more information.

If you have questions about the potential impact of coronavirus on your Universal Credit, visit:

If you require an eligibility assessment and guided assistance to make an online Universal Credit Claim please call the dedicated Help to Claim line on 0800 0241 220

For those requiring food bank support, please contact Anglesey Food Bank on or by phone – 07532 242 994.

For referrals in the Twrcelyn Ward area, referrals will need to ring 07845 655 892

Housing and homelessness

Our face-to-face service is closed.

Any person who is homeless or threatened with homelessness should contact us by phone on 01248 752 200 or email

Any enquiry for support services should be sent to 

You may be eligible for a grant if you have built up rental arrears due to COVID-19.

Letter to all social housing tenants from the Minister for Housing and Local Government regarding supporting tenants in financial difficulties as a result of Covid-19

Message issued on 7 April, 2020

Housing Service

Our face-to-face service is closed.

Any person who is homeless or threatened with homelessness should contact us by phone on 01248 752 200 or email

Any enquiry for support services should be sent to 
Message issued on 27 March, 2020

Housing Repairs

Due to the Coronavirus, we have now taken the decision only to attend to emergency repairs.

This means we will only attend to repair a situation that poses a risk to life or potential risk to health or property such as:

  • a total loss of electricity, heating and or hot water
  • serious water leaks, gas leaks
  • blocked drains and toilets.

If you already requested a repair that is not classed as emergency, we will let you know when we can re-arrange.  

When you contact us on 08081 68 56 52, our staff will do their best to explain what will happen with your request and the next steps.

  • If you rent your property either in the private sector or a social landlord, and you have been affected financially by Covid-19 please call 01248 752 200 and ask to speak to the Financial Inclusion Team.

  • If you rent from the local authority and are concerned about your rent payments please call 01248 752 200 to speak to your Housing Management officer

  • Due to the current coronavirus pandemic and Government guidelines regarding non-essential travel, Housing Services have made some changes with regards to the process of applying for social housing.

  • With immediate effect, we will now accept photocopies of your supporting documents (such as ID, proof of address etc.) along with your application form rather than requiring original documentation.

  • During this time, our preferred method of accepting applications and documents is via email – this includes scanned documentation and/or screenshots and photos taken on your phone etc.

If you wish to apply for social housing, please contact our Customer Services team on 01248 752200 or via email at An application will be sent to you in the post along with a freepost envelope for you to return all documentation should you be unable to e-mail them in to us. Message issued on 25 March, 2020

New guidance has now been published by the Minister for Housing and Local Government to support tenants during the Covid crisis.

We have set up a page to provide advice to private landlords and letting agents.

Gas safety checks

Current guidelines from the Government states that Landlords should not suspend all gas safety checks as they would put tenants at increased risk.

All properties should be considered as a case by case basis where tenants permit access and engineers are available. Further information is available on the Gas Safe Register website.

Recycling and waste

In order to safeguard front line waste collection personnel from the current COVID-19 virus, the Council has introduced a list of additional control measures.

The Council requests all householders follow the control measures listed below to reduce the risk of spreading the infection and to ensure waste services continue as safely as possible:

General waste collection control measures (recycling trolley, black bin, green bin and food bin)

Householders should:

  • NOT put any form of disposable tissue in the recycling trolley boxes including facial tissues, toilet roll, kitchen roll, paper handkerchiefs, napkins, wipes, tissue paper packaging of any sort, blue paper roll, or any other material that can be perceived as disposable tissue. Any of the above or any other item the crew feel could cause a potential risk to their health and wellbeing will result in the entire trolley not being emptied.
  • NOT place any loose waste in their black bin – please use plastic bags to contain all your non-recyclable waste
  • NOT interact with waste/recycling collection crews to ensure social distancing requirements are maintained at all times;• Ensure that recycling items such as glass, cans and plastics are washed thoroughly before they’re put in the trolleys. This would reassure crews when it comes to separating and emptying the boxes
  • NOT place any material other than green garden waste in the green bin e.g. plastic bags, general mixed waste etc – if contamination is found these green bins will not be emptied
  •  Double bag all black bin waste if anyone in the household is showing symptoms of Covid-19 and hold onto any recycling until the symptoms have ended
  • Where possible, please assist the waste collection crews by sanitising the handles of bins and trolleys

Excess Bulky Type Waste (or waste that can’t fit into the black bin)

Householders should:

  • NOT fly-tip their excess waste – please hold on to your bulkier type waste at the current time;
  • NOT place their excess waste next to Council litter bins – this is classed as fly-tipping;

The Council has had to implement these control measures to ensure the safety of front line keyworkers who are assisting in maintaining the public health of all householders. Please assist them by complying with these control measures.

Assisted collections

We are still accepting assisted collections and clinical waste collection applications. However, due to current guidelines, we will need for these to be completed online.

Anglesey has two household waste recycling centres for the use of residents.

Penhesgyn Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)

Gwalchmai Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC)


Leisure, health and well-being

All Môn Actif leisure centres have now closed due to the latest national lockdown.

We will communicate with all members once we have a date to re-open.

If you have any questions please contact us through:

The National Exercise Referral Scheme (NERS) Programme will be suspended for the foreseeable future. We are sorry for any inconvenience caused but are taking these measures to ensure appropriate social distancing measures are put in place in order to protect the health and wellbeing of our clients and also the staff who deliver the programme.

Further information from Môn Actif.

Anglesey Youth Clubs 

We have decided to close all our Youth Clubs a fortnight early before the Easter holidays, following the Government’s guidelines to implement social distancing and avoid unnecessary social contact. 

Anglesey Youth Service Awards Night (31/3/20) at Ysgol Uwchradd Bodedern have been postponed until further notice.

Advice and guidance provided Gorwel for people experiencing domestic abuse.

Risk of abuse and neglect of older people

The Hourglass Cymru helpline is available to anyone concerned about or affected by the increased risk of abuse and neglect of older people at this challenging time, whether that abuse is perpetrated by loved ones, paid professionals or strangers.

Live fear free

During the firebreak restrictions in Wales, it’s important that those at risk of abuse know they can get in touch with Live Fear Free 24/7:

Phone: 0808 80 10 800

Text: 0786 007 7333


Live chat:


During the firebreak restrictions in Wales, it’s important that those at risk of abuse know they can get in touch with Live Fear Free 24/7:

Phone: 0808 80 10 800

Text: 0786 007 7333


Live chat:

Carers Trust Wales has worked in partnership with Welsh Government, Carers Wales, The Royal Pharmaceutical Society and Community Pharmacy Wales to develop a guide to support unpaid carers to access medicines.

As we continue to follow national guidance about staying at home and essential travel, many of us will be concerned about maintaining our fitness over the coming weeks.

Many people may have had to reduce their fitness work outs as we’re currently unable to do the things we’ve become accustomed to. However, help is at hand from Anglesey’s Leisure Service, Môn Actif, as staff provide activities and information about staying healthy at home.

Here are some tips from Môn Actif to stay fit and healthy during this period.

1. A workout from home:

Staff at Môn Actif have been working hard to create fitness workouts and challenges that you can do from your own living room, bedroom or even garden!

With 3-4 videos being shared weekly on our Facebook page you can get back on the fitness trail by joining in. Make sure you let us know how you get on.

You can find us on our Facebook and you can also find our videos on our YouTube channel.

2. Healthy Food

Now we’re spending more time at home, it’s a good opportunity to have fun and get creative with our cooking.

You can find plenty of great healthy food recipes on the below websites:

3. Get active with your friends and family

If you’re going to give our home workout videos a try, why not invite friends and family to get active with you at the same time with a virtual class!

There are a number of apps that you can use to get connected with your friends and family including: Facetime, Zoom, Skype and Houseparty!

4. Take short fitness breaks

If you don’t want to commit to full on exercise classes, challenges and workouts it’s important that you try to keep as active as possible.

If you’re working on your computer or sitting watching television why not take short fitness breaks? Here are some ideas:

  • Walk up and down stairs each time there is an advert break on the television
  • Stand up and sit back down 10 times every 30 minutes if you are sitting on the sofa or on your desk
  • Place your workstation on the kitchen worktop or window sill so that you are standing whilst working
  • Aim to get 10,000 walking steps per day.

5. Do the daily house chores

Cleaning, dusting, hoovering and putting the clothes out on the line can get you moving. Don’t put those daily chores on hold, use them as motivation to get active!

Put the radio on or play some energetic music on and tackle those chores.

We have created a web page so that children can continue to develop their road safety skills and awareness during the Covid-19 epidemic.

Community and social care

Services offered by supermarkets for elderly, disabled, vulnerable people, carers and key workers

Adult and Children’s Social Services will maintain service to all individuals and families needing urgent and statutory support. For non-urgent issues opportunity will be taken to carry out assessments and maintain contact over the phone with individuals and families.

All people contacting us will be triaged over the phone to consider whether a visit in person is required or support can be offered in a different way.

Keep your eyes and ears open during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please watch our video.

Risk of abuse and neglect of older people

The Hourglass Cymru helpline is available to anyone concerned about or affected by the increased risk of abuse and neglect of older people at this challenging time, whether that abuse is perpetrated by loved ones, paid professionals or strangers.

Domestic abuse

Advice and guidance provided Gorwel for people experiencing domestic abuse.

Our Cyswllt Môn office is currently closed following the current government guidelines, but our staff are working from home and able to support.

We apologise for any inconvenience, as this may cause some disruption to our normal service. The main changes are outlined on our Blue Badge web page.

The North Wales Safeguarding Board are asking everyone within the region to look out for one another in order to help those who may be at risk of abuse and neglect.

This is a message which applies at all times, but now more than ever, people at all ages need protection. Communities are currently experiencing unprecedented times as a result of Coronavirus, with social distancing and self-isolation being one of the key messages and advice being provided by Government.

Whilst this will undoubtedly help with the prevention of the spread of the virus, unfortunately, this will also mean that children, young people and adults at risk within North Wales may potentially be at an increased risk of abuse and neglect.

Please be vigilant and look out for friends, families and neighbours and if you see any signs at all that makes you think that they may be experiencing any type of harm, report your concerns to your local safeguarding teams”.

If you have concerns about a child:

  • Anglesey 01248 725888  or out of hours: 01248 353551
  • Conwy 01492 575111 or out of hours: 01492 515777
  • Denbighshire 01824 712200 or out of hours: 0345 053 3116
  • Flintshire 01352 701000 or out of hours: 0345 0533116
  • Gwynedd 01766 772577 or out of hours: 01248 353551
  • Wrexham 01978 292039 or out of hours: 0345 053 3116

If you have concerns about an adult:

  • Anglesey 01248 752752 or out of hours: 01248 353551
  • Conwy 0300 456 1111 or out of hours: 01492 515777
  • Denbighshire 0300 4561000 or out of hours: 0345 053 3116
  • Flintshire 03000 858858 or out of hours: 0345 0533116
  • Gwynedd 01766 772577 or out of hours: 01248 353551
  • Wrexham 01978 292066 or out of hours:  0345 053 3116

Message issued on 2 April, 2020

The Covid-19 Community Response Fund has been created to support vital community projects as they respond to exceptional challenges over the coming months

Funding has been prioritised by Y Gymdeithas and is in place for those charitable groups well placed to act. This additional funding aims to help them to take steps to provide the much-needed care and support for Anglesey residents during this difficult time.

Individuals cannot apply for funding, and the fund cannot be used to support personal needs on an individual basis. We cannot accept applications from businesses.

The Older People's Commissioner for Wales website has provided answers to the questions covering general issues, health and care, and your rights, which we hope you will find useful.

Older People Care Homes

In the current circumstances, we have made the difficult decision to stop all visit to our older people care homes; in all but exceptional cases.

These are:

  • Brwynog, Amlwch
  • Plas Mona, Llanfairpwll
  • Garreglwyd, Holyhead
  • Plas Crigyll, Bryngwran
  • Haulfre, Llangoed

Modifications have been put in place under the Coronavirus Act 2020 to enable local authorities to meet people’s social care and support needs without a financial assessment of their means.

The legislation enables local authorities to conduct assessments at a later date and to retrospectively charge for meeting needs subject to those assessments, so long as the authority informs the person that there may be a charge and does so at the time or in advance of care and support being provided.

None of the fundamental principles underpinning the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014, regulations and code of practice on charging and financial assessment are removed or diluted. Therefore, if a person is charged retrospectively, this should be on the basis of a financial assessment in line with the arrangements in place under the 2014 Act and on the basis that a person’s charge is affordable to them and the arrangements are clear and transparent.

We have created an information document for the kind of support that our communities have for people to access. This document is updated daily :-

We have decided to close all our Youth Clubs a fortnight early before the Easter holidays, following the Government’s guidelines to implement social distancing and avoid unnecessary social contact. 

Carers Trust Wales has worked in partnership with Welsh Government, Carers Wales, The Royal Pharmaceutical Society and Community Pharmacy Wales to develop a guide to support unpaid carers to access medicines.

Medrwn Môn has made the decision that staff will not be conducting home visits or face to face meetings until further notice.

However our support service will continue, and you can still contact Môn Community Link directly over the phone on 01248 725745 or email, and we will be more than happy to help in any way we can.

Our general office is available to contact on 01248 724944 for any other inquiries. Your Local Asset Coordinator is still available to speak to you over the phone and will try to conduct more keep in touch calls during this time.

We have an online information booklet that lists the services currently available over the phone to support you.

For those requiring food bank support, please contact Anglesey Food Bank on or by phone – 07532 242 994.

For referrals in the Twrcelyn Ward area, referrals will need to ring 07845 655 892


  • Welsh Government: @WelshGovernment
  • Public Health Wales: @PublicHealthW
  • Department for Health and Social Care (UK Government): @DHSCgovuk
  • Isle of Anglesey County Council: @angleseycouncil


We’ve created a leaflet which provides information about our emergency phone line and support available from the County Council and key community partners.

If you know a friend or family member who does not have access to the internet, we’d be grateful if you could print a copy and pop it through their letterbox. Please adhere to the social distancing guidelines when doing so.

Thank you for your support.

Schools, education and childcare

The County Council is pleased to report that the island's situation regarding coronavirus has stabilised following a recent high number of cases.

We have been keeping a close eye on the situation since our decision on Monday (February 22) to delay the admission of Foundation Phase children to school.

Today, the latest available local data shows:

  • a reduction in the rate of coronavirus cases on the island
  • a reduction in the percentage of positive tests

We also now have a better understanding of the situation that exists at Ysbyty Gwynedd, Bangor. Following work with partners, it is clear that the current outbreak is contained within the hospital.

Looking at the trend of existing local data and assurance that the outbreak at Ysbyty Gwynedd will not have a wider impact on the community, it is believed that the Island's position will be even more positive next week.

As a result, Anglesey Schools are re-starting plans to gradually welcome back Foundation Phase pupils from Monday, March 1. It is hoped that all Foundation Phase pupils will be back in their classes by Wednesday, March 3 at the latest.

Your child's school will provide further details and confirm any specific arrangements for your child in due course.

In the meantime, schools will continue to provide distance learning for all pupils.

We would like to thank you as parents for your patience and continued co-operation during a very difficult time. All decisions taken to date have been made for the benefit and safety of children and school staff; and this will continue.

County Council officers will continue to closely monitor local data over the weekend. If the situation changes for the worst, we will be in touch again before Monday.

Please note: More and more cases of coronavirus have been linked to transmission between households over the last few weeks. Many of these have been caused by families or friends visiting each other socially.

It is also essential that your children avoid mixing with other children from outside their homes or support bubble. This applies to children under and over the age of 11, and where children are in the same class or bubble within their school.

The latest Welsh Government guidance can be found here:

To claim, please complete the online form or phone our helpline on 01248 752 392 available from 9 to 5 everyday.

Guidance to help childcare providers and parents to protect children from the Welsh Government.

Staff and learners in secondary schools and colleges will be expected to wear face coverings in all areas outside the classroom and on school transport.

More information...

Gwynedd and Anglesey Additional Learning Needs and Inclusion (ALN&I)

A new section of the ALN&I website provides support and resources for children, young people and their families during the Coronavirus period.

We have decided to close all our Youth Clubs a fortnight early before the Easter holidays, following the Government’s guidelines to implement social distancing and avoid unnecessary social contact. 

Welsh Government is continuing to pay childcare providers and Flying Start their Childcare Offer for Wales payments, even if children don't attend due to coronavirus isolation. More here:


Public protection and environmental health

Our Public Protection team is working closely with the North Wales Police to ensure that commercial premises required to close due to COVID19 are complying.

Letters are being sent to all licensed premises and food businesses to ensure they are all aware of their legal obligations to prevent the spread of virus.

Any complaints will be fully investigated and where offences are observed; appropriate prohibition notices, fines and potential withdrawal of licences will be implemented.

If you want to make a complaint or report that an Anglesey business is not complying with social distancing guidelines, or you are a local business needing further advice in relation to social distancing requirements, we can help.

Social distancing guidelines have been extended to all work places to reduce risk of spreading coronavirus.
Message issued on 7 April, 2020

The Isle of Anglesey County Council is asking the islands’ residents to be watchful of fraudsters.

This comes during a critical time when the people of Anglesey have been asked to come together to support one another.

Anglesey’s Trading Standard Manager, Emma Jones said, “It saddens me that we have to share this message. During a time when people are most vulnerable, unfortunately there remains a minority who see it as an opportunity to prey on the vulnerable, taking money from individuals for shopping but then not returning.”

“This is a national problem and we’re seeing fraudsters increasingly targeting the public and organisations with emails, texts, phone calls and WhatsApp messages offering advice and treatment for the coronavirus, as well as setting up fake websites selling products and offering ‘cures’. Scammers have been setting up bogus websites asking for donations for victims or promoting awareness and prevention tips. Cold callers have also been contacting organisations suggesting they must have certain measures in place by a certain deadline.”

During this difficult time the authority is asking everyone to be vigilant and protect each other from becoming a victim of fraud and for anyone who is self-isolating to:

  • Try to use only trusted persons (friends, neighbours or family members) wherever possible to help you shop.
  • Do not give pension books or card details to anyone you did not know or trust prior to isolation.
  • Do not allow unknown visitors into your home unless you have a prior arranged appointment and have checked they are not unwell.
  • If you need to ask someone you don’t know well to help get you shopping, get as much detail from them about who they are, where they live, their vehicle details etc, as possible.
  • If you are able to shop online, or place an order with a local shop and pay directly so that it only requires delivery, consider these as options.

Emma Jones added, “We fully the support the people who genuinely want to help their community and I would urge those people to get in touch with Môn Community Link who are co-ordinating an island wide list of community support by calling 01248 725745.”

If you have any concerns that you or a neighbour are being targeted by a fraudster contact Anglesey’s Trading Standards team today on 01248 750057 or email

Important information for food businesses

As the lockdown continues, some eligible food businesses are re-opening and others diversifying to provide take away and delivery services.

The Public Protection team at Anglesey County Council are reminding businesses that there are a number of issues to carefully consider before opening.

Message issued on 1 May, 2020

The Food Standards Agency has today (Friday, March 27) published guidance to assist food businesses in responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

The new guidance has been developed with the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) and covers a range of areas including good hygiene practice, management of employee sickness, and social distancing for specific food business settings.

It is very unlikely that people can catch COVID-19 from food. COVID-19 is a respiratory illness and not known to be transmitted by exposure to food or food packaging.

The FSA is working with the food industry to ensure that businesses know what their responsibilities are and what actions they need to take to maintain safety standards and protect staff during the outbreak.

Takeaway / deliveries

If you are a food premises offering food delivery or take away / delivery service, we would recommend that you look at the attached guidance.

There may be some issues or practices that you may need to be aware of in order to keep your customers safe in relation to allergens and other food safety issues. Please remember during delivery, cold food should be kept at 8˚C or below and hot food at 63˚C or above. If you can, keep a record of what meals you have provided and to whom.

If you are not a food business operator but are offering to make a meal for someone who is in self-isolation or vulnerable, please make sure that you discuss any possible allergies, or food intolerances, so that any meals provided are safe.

Should you have any questions or require advice please contact

We are receiving an increasing number of complaints regarding domestic bonfires causing nuisance to neighbours. 

Bonfires can and do exasperate existing health conditions in all ages; notable asthma and breathing related conditions; especially Covid-19.

At this time we are asking that the public refrain from lighting bonfires. The Public Protection service is being very proactive within our response to every report of bonfires, and should repeat offenders be identified, we shall not hesitate in taking enforcement action to protect those residents that are either at home working, in self isolation or recovering from illness.

For further information and advice please see


All complaints must be sent to

Anglesey Council has recently received complaints about dogs left off their leads and jumping on members of the public.

This, of course, means that their owners have to break the 2-metre social distancing guidelines to retrieve their dogs.

We must stress the need for responsible dog ownership, especially during the Coronavirus pandemic, and ask owners to keep their dogs under control at all times whilst out in public places.

We would urge that all dog owners walk their dogs on leads, to maintain full control of their dogs whilst out in public places. You will then be able to keep the 2-metre social distancing to protect yourselves, your dogs and other members of the public.  

The LEAD initiative requires dogs to be kept under control, so that their behaviour is not anti-social. Where legislation permits the Police will intervene under the LEAD scheme.

The Business Wales site has been updated and there are now three clear and distinct routes for offers of support to be captured across Wales. Please share this with your contacts to ensure the messaging is clear and consistent for all our stakeholders.

Route 1

Life Sciences Hub (LSH) are working closely with NHS Shared Services Partnership (SSP) to provide the critical list items required by NHS in Wales Any existing supplier of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) or critical medical equipment, or any suppliers able to provide any additional support on either manufacturing, repurposing products or innovation, are asked to contact the Life Science Hub through their innovation portal at: LSH will require offers of support to be submitted with essential information including evidence of certification and product standards

Route 2

Any suppliers specifically able to offer support for Planning, Construction and Implementation of additional/temporary accommodation for the NHS please register interest at

Route 3

Any other offers of support not directly related to Medical Equipment or PPE, is being captured at a regional and local level. Offers of this kind will be captured via a link to an online form which identifies offers by post code area. This intelligence is being captured on a regional level not to meet existing demand but to be called upon in future if a need is identified.


Answers from the Public Protection Team to your frequently asked questions.

Births, deaths and marriages

Marriage and civil partnership

We are following the advice and guidance from Welsh Government on social distancing and public behaviour. This means the content and format of marriage and civil partnership ceremonies has been reviewed and we have introduced restrictions on the number of people permitted in our ceremony rooms at one time.

Physical distancing will help ensure that officers and visitors are safe and to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The maximum number of people permitted in each room is:

  • Register Office – 6 people
  • Ceremony Room – 14 people

These figures include two Registrars and the couple.

We will contact couples who have booked a ceremony on a month by month basis. Our priority is to resume ceremonies that are scheduled to take place at the Register Office in July and August before accepting new bookings from September onwards. All bookings will be subject to availability.

We currently conduct ceremonies at approved premises (i.e. hotels) following the social distancing guidelines. We appreciate this uncertainty makes planning difficult and we are very sorry for all couples who are affected by this situation.

Here are some useful questions and answers for couples:

From what date can marriages be solemnized, and civil partnerships formed?

In Wales marriages can be solemnized and civil partnerships formed from 22 June. In England this can take place from 4 July.

Where a person is shielding, can a marriage be solemnized, or a civil partnership formation take place remotely by video conferencing technology?

No, there is no provision within current legislation for a virtual marriage or civil partnership to take place.

Can couples who have already given notice proceed with their marriage / civil partnership if they wish to do so?

Yes, as long as the authorities are still valid and the venue remains the same.

What happens if a notice has been previously given for a venue that is now closed?

A fresh notice is required if the venue changes for a marriage or civil partnership.

The grounds of the register office are lovely – as there is less risk outside can the ceremony take place there instead?

No. A marriage or civil partnership must take place within the venue as detailed on the notice and authority, and as specified in the approval of the premises. The outside space is not included as part of the venue.

Why can’t witnesses use video technology to witness the ceremony?

There is still a requirement within legislation for 2 witnesses to attend to witness a marriage or civil partnership and then sign the register.


Registrations for births that occurred in Anglesey will resume from 1 July, 2020.
Provision has now been made for the registration of births to be undertaken by telephone in-part. This will help us to follow the Government’s guidance on social distancing and public behaviour. To complete the registration, a parent/parents must sign the register in person at the Register Office and we will discuss the arrangements for this when booking an appointment.

For registration of babies born in other counties, please contact the Register Office in the county where the birth occurred e.g.

• Ysbyty Gwynedd

To make an appointment for telephone registration please call the Register Office on 01248 751925 (6) or (7).

Parents can continue to make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered, where they have not been able to do so because of these measures.

Further information can be found on

Deaths and still-births

Provision has now been made for the registration of deaths to be undertaken by telephone. This will help the Registration Service follow the Government’s guidance on essential travel, social distancing and public behaviour. The Registration Service is also working closely with health practitioners to share information electronically to remove the requirement for bereaved families to visit the Register Officer during the current emergency situation.

To make an appointment for telephone registration please call the Register Office on 01248 751925 (6) or (7)


Planning, building control and conservation

During the current Covid-19 pandemic, the Planning Function will endeavour to continue to determine and deal with planning, enforcement, building regulation and other related applications (such as Listed Building Consent, Conservation Area consent, Tree Preservation Order consent, Hedgerow Notices) as effectively as possible.

Whilst officers are currently working from home they can still be contacted via their normal work telephone numbers or email addresses during office hours.

The Planning Function apologises for any inconvenience caused, however the wellbeing of our service users and staff must take priority.

Libraries and the Archives Service

The Council have a “Call and Collect” book service at all its libraries as well as being open for browsing and choosing books by appointment

Remember that you can download e-books, e-audiobooks and magazines free from our website.

Anglesey Archives is open with a limited service.

Public Rights of Way

Message issued on 16 June 2021

Isle of Anglesey Public Rights of Way network and Access Land

The Isle of Anglesey Public Rights of Way network and Access Land remains open for the public to use.

We ask that all members of the public follow the requirements for social distancing. Many footpaths and bridleways cross private land, working farms and in some cases are close to private homes. Please keep to the paths, keep your distance from landowners and continue to follow the restrictions and measures which are in place to protect you and others.

There are reports of some paths being closed/ obstructed by landowners. This should not happen and is illegal.

Anyone encountering new obstructions, rights of way signs removed/obscured, or is challenged verbally or should take photographic evidence and report it to the Council using this email address:


Necessary cookies are required for basic functions such as page navigation and managing content delivery. The website cannot function properly without these cookies and cannot be disabled.



Preference cookies enable the website to remember your language preference or optional controls.



Analytical and statistics cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website by collecting and reporting information anonymously.