Direction of Gwynne Jones Chief Executive of the Isle of Anglesey County Council under the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Electronic Communications) Order 2006 and Schedule 12, Part 4 of The Council Tax Reduction Schemes and Prescribed Requirements (Wales) Regulations 2013.
This page sets out the Council’s legal obligation to publicly state its policy regarding electronic collection of data relating to Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction claims.
The Isle of Anglesey County Council, in accordance with:-
For Housing Benefit:
Part 2 of Schedule 11 to the Housing Benefit Regulations 2006.
Part 2 of Schedule 10 to the Housing Benefit Regulations (Persons who have attained the qualifying age for state pension credit) 2006.
For Council Tax Reduction:
Part 1 of Schedule 12 of The Council Tax Reduction Schemes and Prescribed Requirements (Wales) Regulations 2013 as incorporated by the Isle of Anglesey County Council in its Council Tax Reduction Scheme 2016 – 17 for Pensioner and Non-Pensioner Claimants.
hereby makes the following directions:-
1. Providing the method approved by the Authority is used, electronic communication may be used in the following circumstances;
- Making a claim for Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction;
- Amending a claim for Housing Benefit and/or an application for a Council Tax Reduction;
- Notifying a change in circumstances for a Housing Benefit claim and/or a Council Tax Reduction application.
2. The methods approved by the Authority for using electronic communication are as follows:
Making a new claim
- The claim/application form used for making a new claim must be that which is on the Authority’s website. The form must be completed in accordance with the instructions set out on the website.
- The person must keep a copy of any electronic communication, reference number generated, claim/application, certificate, notice, information or evidence so that it can be produced where the Authority so requires. Failure to produce on reasonable request the evidence requested may be deemed to show that an electronic communication was not successfully made to the Authority.
- Electronic new claims by appointment made via a telephone or by personal visits to the Council’s Offices at Llangefni. Such electronic applications appointments may be made by telephone via 01248 752226 or 01248 752658 from 9.00am to 12.00pm and 3.00pm to 4.00pm Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday each week.
Amending a claim or notifying a change of circumstance
- By electronic mail to email@example.com;
- By telephone via 01248 752226 or 01248 752658;
- Any person sending an electronic communication to the Authority must clearly state their full name, full postal address, date of birth and national insurance number. Any communication where the Authority is unable to authenticate the identity of the sender shall be deemed invalidly made.
3. The Authority may accept digital photographic and scanned images of notices, forms, evidence and information provided by a person where it has been verified by an officer of the Authority or its preferred partner or agent. Where it has not been verified, the Authority may request to see the original where its authenticity cannot be corroborated by other means.
4. The Authority may determine that specified approved organisations can be used in relation to electronic claims and information. Claimants may need to contact any such organisations in relation to this.
5. The Authority’s “official computer system” for the purposes of recording information relating to electronic communications is provided by Northgate Information Systems Ltd for Housing Benefits and Council Tax Reduction. The Council’s document forms systems for completion to claim Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction is provided by Victoria Forms Ltd. These systems are also regarded as “official computer systems” for the purposes of recording information relating to electronic communications.
6. The Authority may require further information or original supporting evidence before the claim for Housing Benefit and/or application for a Council Tax Reduction can be assessed/revised. The Authority may verify claims/applications, certificates, notices, information or evidence using third party systems and sources of information as well as by direct contact with a person using electronic communications or by some other means.
7. Any claim/application, amendment or notification received that:
a) Does not conform to any of the relevant standards will be invalid;
b) Does conform to the above standard but is not accepted by the Authority’s official computer system, is not regarded as having been delivered.
8. This direction may be withdrawn or amended at any time by the issue of a further direction.