Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Marriage and civil partnerships

Marriage and civil partnership

We are following the advice and guidance from Welsh Government on social distancing and public behaviour. This means the content and format of marriage and civil partnership ceremonies has been reviewed and we have introduced restrictions on the number of people permitted in our ceremony rooms at one time.

Physical distancing will help ensure that officers and visitors are safe and to help prevent the spread of coronavirus.

The maximum number of people permitted in each room is:

  • Register Office – 6 people
  • Ceremony Room – 14 people

These figures include two Registrars and the couple.

We will contact couples who have booked a ceremony on a month by month basis. Our priority is to resume ceremonies that are scheduled to take place at the Register Office in July and August before accepting new bookings from September onwards. All bookings will be subject to availability.

We currently conduct ceremonies at approved premises (i.e. hotels) following the social distancing guidelines. We appreciate this uncertainty makes planning difficult and we are very sorry for all couples who are affected by this situation.

Here are some useful questions and answers for couples:

From what date can marriages be solemnized, and civil partnerships formed?

In Wales marriages can be solemnized and civil partnerships formed from 22 June. In England this can take place from 4 July.

Where a person is shielding, can a marriage be solemnized, or a civil partnership formation take place remotely by video conferencing technology?

No, there is no provision within current legislation for a virtual marriage or civil partnership to take place.

Can couples who have already given notice proceed with their marriage / civil partnership if they wish to do so?

Yes, as long as the authorities are still valid and the venue remains the same.

What happens if a notice has been previously given for a venue that is now closed?

A fresh notice is required if the venue changes for a marriage or civil partnership.

The grounds of the register office are lovely – as there is less risk outside can the ceremony take place there instead?

No. A marriage or civil partnership must take place within the venue as detailed on the notice and authority, and as specified in the approval of the premises. The outside space is not included as part of the venue.

Why can’t witnesses use video technology to witness the ceremony?

There is still a requirement within legislation for 2 witnesses to attend to witness a marriage or civil partnership and then sign the register.


Registrations for births that occurred in Anglesey will resume from 1 July, 2020.
Provision has now been made for the registration of births to be undertaken by telephone in-part. This will help us to follow the Government’s guidance on social distancing and public behaviour. To complete the registration, a parent/parents must sign the register in person at the Register Office and we will discuss the arrangements for this when booking an appointment.

For registration of babies born in other counties, please contact the Register Office in the county where the birth occurred e.g.

• Ysbyty Gwynedd

To make an appointment for telephone registration please call the Register Office on 01248 751925 (6) or (7).

Parents can continue to make a claim for child benefit or universal credit prior to the birth being registered, where they have not been able to do so because of these measures.

Further information can be found on

Deaths and still-births

Provision has now been made for the registration of deaths to be undertaken by telephone. This will help the Registration Service follow the Government’s guidance on essential travel, social distancing and public behaviour. The Registration Service is also working closely with health practitioners to share information electronically to remove the requirement for bereaved families to visit the Register Officer during the current emergency situation.

To make an appointment for telephone registration please call the Register Office on 01248 751925 (6) or (7)


If you have decided to be married by civil ceremony on Anglesey you can be assured of an individual and special ceremony tailored to your own requirements.

Within these pages you will find all the information you need to arrange your civil marriage in a Register Office or Approved Venue, how to give notice of marriage for a civil or religious marriage and how to arrange a Registrar to attend your religious marriage if necessary.

  • If you are marrying in the Church of England or Church in Wales by Banns or Common Licence, you should contact your Vicar regarding any necessary legal preliminaries.
  • If you are marrying in any other sort of church or chapel or by civil ceremony in a Register Office or approved venue, notice of marriage has to be given personally to your local Superintendent Registrar.

Both of you must have lived in a registration district in England or Wales for at least seven days immediately before giving notice at the Register Office.

  • If you both live in the same district, you should both attend your local Register Office to give your notices of marriage.
  • If you live in separate registration districts then each of you will need to give notice separately in your own area.

You can give notice of marriage up to twelve months in advance of your wedding day. Once you have both given notice, you must wait a further 28 clear days before the marriage can take place. Contact the Register Office for more advice as soon as you have decided to get married.

When giving  notice of marriage in another district to get married at an approved premises on Anglesey please ensure that you inform the Registration Team at your district that the Anglesey registration district comes under ‘Ynys Môn’.

Civil Partnerships

Any couple that registers a civil partnership has the same rights as a married couple in areas like tax, social security, inheritance and workplace benefits.

Getting registered in Wales and England?

  • get advice and information from Direct Gov
  • decide where you want to register. For instance, at a register office or an approved venue like a hotel.
  • fix the date, but check that a registrar can attend if you have chosen an approved venue.
  • arrange to give notice of your intention to register to the registration authority where each of you live. You each have to give notice at least 15 clear days before the date for registering.
  • get registered. Sign the legal document in front of the registrar and your two witnesses.
View the Isle of Anglesey Celebration Guide

For an appointment please contact us

When you go to the Register Office you will be asked to produce certain documents, depending on your personal circumstances. These documents should be original documents not photocopies and may include:

  • valid passport
  • birth certificate
  • driving licence
  • evidence of home address (e.g. utility bill / bank statement within the last 3 months , or Council Tax bill within the current year.)
  • evidence of any change of name (e.g. Deed Poll / Statutory Declaration)
  • decree absolute of divorce
  • death certificate of late wife or husband
  • prior to 1983 a person born in the UK obtained British Citizenship automatically.  For a person born after 1st January 1983 the nationality is dependent on the nationality  of the parents.
  • if you have not yet had your eighteenth birthday - the written consent of your parent(s) and/or guardian(s) or any organisation with parental responsibility.

A fee will be payable for each notice. For current information please contact our office. 

Please see the attachment for a full list of establishments  which are approved for conducting civil marriage and civil partnership ceremonies 


Necessary cookies are required for basic functions such as page navigation and managing content delivery. The website cannot function properly without these cookies and cannot be disabled.



Preference cookies enable the website to remember your language preference or optional controls.



Analytical and statistics cookies are used to understand how visitors interact with the website by collecting and reporting information anonymously.