Isle of Anglesey County Council will be reopening its Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) at Gwalchmai on Thursday, July 2, 2020.
Only visits pre-booked online will be accepted - please see further details below.
In order to ensure the health and safety of both the public and staff at all times during visits to Gwalchmai, we have introduced the following strict conditions:
Important matters to consider before visiting Gwalchmai HWRC
Do not visit if you or anyone in your household is self-isolating, has symptoms of Covid-19 or is currently shielding.
- You must only visit if you cannot safely store your waste/recycling at home. Only go if it is essential
- Gwalchmai will open on Thursday, July 2, 2020 and will only be open Monday to Friday, 10am to 2.30pm thereafter
- Only cars will be allowed on site
- No trailers, vans or pick-ups will be allowed on site (even if with existing permits)
- Only one person to travel per car (driver only will be allowed access)
Booking your visit to Gwalchmai HWRC
- Only pre-booked visits via Isle of Anglesey County Council will be accepted
- Householders will be able to make online bookings via ‘My Account’ on the website from 9am to 1pm on Wednesday, July 1
- Householders will be given the following booking slots: 10am to 10.30am, 10.30am to 11am, 11am to 11.30am, 11.30am to 12pm, 12pm to 12.30pm, 12.30pm to 1pm, 1pm to 1.30pm, 1.30pm to 2pm, 2pm to 2.30pm
- Slots will be available to book Sunday – Thursday. Please note: To book a Monday slot, the window will be open on the previous Sunday (9am to 1pm).
- The booking form is only available from 9am to 1pm, Sunday to Thursday. The link will return a blank page if used at any other time.
- You must have an existing ‘My Account’ or create a new account to make an online booking. Guidance on how to register is available - Register with ‘My Account’
- If you have already registered with ‘My Account', please use the following link. Please note: the booking form is not available on AppMÔN - Book a visit to Gwalchmai HWRC
- Guidance on filling in the form is available
- Important: When filling the form your address should be entered automatically. If it does not appear, please type in your post code (not your address) and choose your address from the drop-down list. Please enter your post code in the format LL77 7TW, leaving a space between the two parts of the post code
- Important - At the end of the form a summary sheet will appear so that you can double check if everything has been inputted correctly. Once you are happy, please click 'Submit' to complete your service request. Once you have clicked 'Submit', a green message will appear on the right corner of your screen to confirm that it has been submitted. Please note this is not your confirmation of your place. You will get an e-mail in due course to confirm whether you have a place or not.
- Should you be using a mobile device, please turn the phone on its side so that you can better view the instructions and 'Submit' button.
- Please note: You will receive an email along with a reference number to say if your application is successful. Please do not use the confirmation message following the completion of this application as approval for the application.
- If you notice that there are no slots available, then all will have been booked. Please keep trying in case of rejected applications.
- Online pre-booked visits will be capped each day to meet health and safety requirements
- Only one visit will be allowed per household during this initial opening stage
- Please ensure you arrive on time – please do not arrive earlier/later than your allocated slot
Reaching the Gwalchmai HWRC - LL65 4PW
- There are likely to be queues at the recycling centre due to limits on the number of people allowed inside at any one time and additional checks
- You will not be admitted on site without a valid booking reference or if you fail to meet any of the other access criteria noted above
- Please adhere to the traffic management system and signage instructions
On the Gwalchmai HWRC Site
- Please adhere to the traffic management system and signage instructions on site
- It is essential that you remember to observe social distancing and any other safety messaging in place.
- Our staff will not be able to help you with any manual handling (only bring items you can lift and manoeuvre safely yourself)
- Please be patient and respect the staff working at the centre at all times
Householders will not be allowed on site to deposit their waste if they fail to adhere to the conditions of use in place.
How do I book a slot at the Gwalchmai HWRC?
To book a slot you must create an account on the Isle of Anglesey County Council’s website and complete a booking application.
The number of slots are very limited and therefore your application may unfortunately be unsuccessful. Please read the terms and conditions very carefully as non-compliance will mean you will not be able to enter the site.
How many appointments can I book?
Each household is allowed one visit, to try and make sure that as many householders as possible have the opportunity to dispose of their excess waste.
Do I need to use the same vehicle that I booked the appointment for?
Yes – we will check your registration number against the booking. Please note that cars only will be accepted – trailers (of any size) or any commercial type vehicles (vans, pick-ups etc. even with existing permits) will not be allowed access into Penhesgyn HWRC during this initial opening phase.
How do I get to the Gwalchmai HWRC?
The centre is located on the A5, just outside of Gwalchmai on the Holyhead side of the village. It is accessible from the A55 (Junction 5).
The post code is LL65 4PW
What will happen when I get to the Recycling Centre?
- Please arrive as close to your time slot as possible, to avoid queues
- Stay in your car with your windows up until staff direct you to drive into the centre
- You will then have a maximum of 10 minutes to empty your car of your recycling/waste items. Please make sure you finish unloading your recycling/waste within this time
- Please only bring items you can carry yourself as no assistance will be given
- We strongly recommend you sort your waste before you come, to make sure you can unload within your 10 minute slot
- Please keep at least 2m (6 feet) away from all other users of the site
If you do not respect social distancing or are abusive to staff at the site, you will be asked to leave and the Police may be called.
Can the Gwalchmai HWRC staff help me to unload my vehicle?
No. To keep you and the staff on site safe, we will be keeping to social distancing rules. This means staff will not be able to help you unload. Please note that ONE person per car will be allowed access into the site (driver only).
What should I do with waste if I’ve been self-isolating?
If your household is currently self-isolating because someone has viral symptoms, you must not come to the site. If you have just finished self-isolating, please make sure that household waste has been double-bagged and left for at least 72 hours before you bring it to the site.
Is there an alternative?
We have also introduced a phased introduction of our bulky waste collection service as an alternative to having to visit a household waste recycling centre (HWRC). The available slots will be limited at first but it is hoped these can be increased in the coming weeks.
Bulky collections can be booked in the usual way by contacting the Council’s Waste Management Section via 01248 750057 (Option 7). Please note, this will come at a cost to the householder.