Skip to content

Cyngor Sir Ynys Môn - Isle of Anglesey County Council

Register of Electors – Frequently Asked Questions

We can confirm your registration by telephone on the Electoral Services Helpline on 01248 752 548. You must however give your full name and address.

If you change your name or wish to change any other details on the electoral register, you need to either go to Please contact the electoral office if you require more details.

If you cannot find your name on the Register of Electors, or if you have recently moved into the County, you can register on line at This asks for details of your full name, date of birth, national insurance number, your present address your old address, If you would prefer a paper application please contact the office on 01248 752 548.

The Electoral Register can now only be inspected under supervision, at Anglesey County Council, Council Offices, LL77 7TW  by prior arrangement only. To make an appointment please contact the office on 01248 752 548. The Open Register can currently be viewed at the local libraries.

No. The Council Tax register and the Register of Electors are completely separate.  The Register of Electors is a list of who is resident in a property and is eligible to vote, while the person paying the Council Tax on a property is not necessarily resident and is not necessarily eligible to be on the Register of Electors.

Check that you are on the Register, either by viewing the public copy or by contacting this office. If, having checked, you are not on the register, then you can apply by going to and registering on line or we can send you a paper application. If you are already on the Register, we can provide you with a certificate of residency.

It is legal to register at both properties so long as you have a genuine residential qualification at both. It is the Electoral Commission’s view that owning a second property which is visited only for recreational purposes is unlikely to meet the residency qualification. Owning and paying council tax on a property alone is not sufficient to satisfy the residence qualification either.  If you choose to register at both properties, you should bear in mind that it is an offence to vote twice in the same election. For example, if you register at a property in Anglesey and a property in another County, and there are Local Authority elections in both areas on the same day, you can vote in both elections. However, if you were to vote in both Constituencies at a Parliamentary election, this would be an offence.

All households are required by law to complete and return the household enquiry form (Representation of the People Regulations 2001, Regulation 23). Failure to do so carries a maximum fine of £1,000.  You do not legally have to vote however, you cannot vote in any election unless you are registered. Your vote is as important as anyone’s. Credit reference agencies are entitled to purchase the Electoral Register which is then used as one of the checks when you apply for a wide variety of credit arrangements, such as mortgages, bank loans, mobile phone contracts and mail order catalogues. If you are not registered to vote this can very often result in your credit application being turned down.

The government uses the Register of Electors to help to assess how much grant money they should give to Anglesey. This means that the more people who are listed, the more money the council receives to pay for services.

Any 14/15 year olds, who will become 16 on or before 30 November should register. If you are the parent of a 14 or 15 year old, be sure to include them on the annual household return, giving both their name and their date of birth.

16 year olds will be able to vote at the Senedd Elections in 2021 and Local Government Elections in 2022.

The Register of Electors is a public document and can be inspected at Anglesey County Council, Llangefni, LL77 7TW under the supervision of one of the Electoral Registration Officer’s staff. The public copy of the Electoral Register is only available to view in paper format, and in address order. The Open Register can also be viewed at the local libraries. Please note that each library will have their local area only and not the full County. For further details please contact Electoral Registration Services or your local library.

The Council is required by law to provide the full version of the Register to political parties, law enforcement agencies and credit reference agencies. The purposes for which those bodies can use the information in the Register are restricted by law.

Any person, charity or commercial organisation can purchase a copy of the Open Register, and can use the information in the Open Register for any purpose.