This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Discretionary Housing Payments and Discretionary Assistance Fund

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP)

DHP is a payment that you may be entitled to, at the discretion of Isle of Anglesey County Council. The fund is intended to provide extra help with housing costs on top of your Housing Benefit.

Who does it help?

If you are entitled to Housing Benefit or the Housing Costs element of Universal Credit you will be able to apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment. Please be aware that you are not guaranteed to be awarded the fund.

The fund is aimed at supporting individuals, the fund has been increased by the UK Government to help with the Welfare Reform’s benefit changes such as the Benefit Cap and other Housing Benefit changes.

Isle of Anglesey County Council cannot help everyone so decisions about priority have to be made.

What can discretionary housing payments cover?

DHP may be granted to pay for a shortfall between your housing benefit and rent. This may include when housing benefit has been reduced because of:

  • The ‘bedroom tax’
  • The benefit cap
  • Non-dependant deduction being applied (eg for grown up sons or daughters living with you).
  • Changes to the local housing allowance
  • Shared accommodation rate for single people

You could get a DHP to pay for the start up costs of a new tenancy, such as a rent deposit, rent in advance or removal costs. Anglesey Council may also help to prevent you from becoming homeless and in some situations, payments can be made to help with rent arrears.

What help doesn’t it provide?

Discretionary Housing Payment will not be awarded to cover any increases in rent due to arrears or any payment recovery payments from your Housing Benefit. It cannot be used to help to cover Job Centre Plus (JCP) sanctions or a reduction in benefit.

How much does it pay?

Isle of Anglesey County Council will decide whether to award a Discretionary Housing Payment, how much to award, and for how long. Awards can be one off payments, short term or indefinite awards.

Appealing against the decisions

If you are not happy with the outcome of your DHP application or award, you can ask your Anglesey Council to review its decision. This will be followed with a reviewed decision alongside a letter to explain the decision.

How to make a claim

You can complete the application below or email or visit Isle of Anglesey County Council, Council Offices, Llangefni.

Alternatively, you can make an appointment at JE O’Toole Centre, Holyhead with a welfare rights officer.

Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF)

As of April 2013, The Discretionary Assistance Fund (DAF) in Wales replaces parts of the Social Fund previously run by the Department of Work and Pensions which was known as ‘crisis loans’ or ‘community care grants’.

New claims will need to be made to DAF for emergencies or basic items.

The fund offers grant payments or support for two purposes:

EAP: Emergency Assistance Payments to provide you with help in an emergency or when there is an immediate threat to your, or someone in your family’s health or wellbeing

IAP: Individual Assistance Payments to help you, or someone you care for to live independently in the community and prevent the need for institutional care.

How to apply for an EAP or IAP

You can apply by phone, online or by post

Call the freephone number - 0800 859 5924 - which is free from landlines or call 033 0101 5000 which is charged at a local rate.

For information on how to complete apply visit Money Made Clear Wales.

Contact Housing Service

Housing Service
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Housing Customer Services: (01248) 752200
Council Housing Repairs and maintenance: 08081 68 56 52 (24 hours)
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Contact Finance Service

Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: (01248) 752658
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Email:Council tax/Business Rates
Email:Council tax benefits

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 20 June 2018 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?