This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Naming your House

If a property is already numbered, a property owner can additionally name their property without contacting the Council as long as it does not conflict with an existing property name in that locality.

The property name in this case will not officially form part of the property address, and the property number must still be displayed and referred to in any correspondence.

You only need to seek permission from the Council if there is no number allocated in the official address (for example if the property has been allocated a name as part of its official address).

In the case of addresses where there is no number allocated, the allocated name does form part of the official address. In this instance property owners wishing to change the property name need to put their request in writing, stating their name, the present full address of the property and state clearly their new preferred name.

We will contact Royal Mail to see if they have knowledge of a similar named property in the locality. We check our information systems and if the name is satisfactory, then the new address is registered and you will be informed accordingly.

If there is an issue with your preferred name, we will request alternatives. The property name change information is then sent to Royal Mail, emergency and essential services and other relevant Council Services. It is the responsibility of property owners to inform their own personal contacts.

Where a name needs to be chosen (formally or informally), those wishing to change or add a name to their house are encouraged to use Welsh names in accordance with the Council’s Policy on Naming and Numbering Streets and Houses.  

This service is not currently chargeable.

Environment and Technical Services

Street Naming and Numbering
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
In person: By appointment - 10.00am - 4.00pm Monday to Friday
Tel: 01248 752369 or 01248 752364

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 4 May 2016 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?