This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Household Waste Recycling Centre Permit Scheme

Household Waste Recycling Centres (HWRCs) are provided for householders to dispose of their waste safely and conveniently. Some traders use the HWRCs to illegally dispose of their waste and the disposal costs are funded by Anglesey tax payers.

Unauthorised trade use also leads to safety issues associated with larger vehicles in general, and adds to waiting times for other legitimate users. Some residents own small commercial type vehicles or medium sized trailers and will want to use them to visit HWRCs with their household waste.

A small commercial type vehicle and medium size trailer permitting scheme is the fairest way to ensure that residents can use their own vehicles to visit the sites safely, whilst deterring unlawful use by traders.

If you are a resident of Anglesey and you wish to visit a HWRC site with a pickup, small van, short wheel base transit van, small mini bus or a private car with a medium sized trailer between 1.8m and 3m bed length, a car with sign writing, small hire vans with a hire agreement of 3 days or less you will need a permit (all vehicles must be no longer than 5m or no higher than 2.1m including any attachments).

Any vehicle longer than 5m or over 2.1m high including any attachments; Luton box vans, long wheel base transit vans, flat bed and tipper trucks, tractors, any agricultural vehicles, horsebox vehicles or any trailer longer than 3m bed length are not entitled to a permit and are not allowed access to any of the sites.

If you have a private car, estate car, people carrier, 4x4 without a goods body or a trailer less than 1.8m bed length you can visit the HWRCs without a permit to deposit your household waste (all vehicles must be no longer than 5m or no higher than 2.1m including any attachments).

The sites cannot accept trade waste, which must be disposed of using a licensed facility meeting Duty of Care requirements. If you are carrying out larger scale renovation or construction work, a skip should be hired. A number of local and national companies offer waste management services or for further advice contact Natural Resources Wales on 0300 065 3000.

Depositing trade waste at the HWRC sites is a criminal offence under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and could result in a £50,000 fine and/or two years imprisonment.

How to apply for permits

Please see the explanation above to see if your vehicle / trailer may qualify for a permit. A visual guide is available by downloading the HWRC Permit Scheme leaflet below. If you are a householder paying standard Council Tax on Anglesey and the only vehicle in your household falls into the category of a small commercial type vehicle that requires a permit or you wish to bring a medium sized trailer on site, you can apply for a permit.

Just download the application form below or pick one up from the Council’s Waste Management Section, Council Offices, Llangefni, LL77 7TW. You will need to agree to our terms and conditions and bring your completed application form in to the Council’s Waste Management Section, Llangefni, along with your vehicle registration document (V5) and a matching proof of address on Anglesey such as a recent utility bill or a council tax demand.

If you are applying for a trailer permit, the (V5) document should be for the car you will tow it with.

If your application is successful, you will receive 12 permits for 12 visits to our HWRCs. Each household is entitled to a maximum of 12 visits per year. You can choose when to use the permits, i.e. all in one month or spread over the year, however you will not be able to re-apply unless you have used all of your 12 permits and the 12 month period from when you last applied for your permits has come to an end.

Vehicle permit FAQs

How does the permit scheme work?

On arrival at one of our HWRCs, you will be required to hand one of your permits to a member of site staff who will confirm that the vehicle details match those on the permit and take the permit to indicate that one visit has been used. If you visit one of the HWRCs more than once in one day, each visit will be counted separately and your permit taken accordingly. The permits are only valid for any of the two HWRCs on Anglesey (Gwalchmai and Penhesgyn).

How long will it take for my permits to be issued?

If a fully completed application form is received before 12pm on a working day then permits will be sent out second class post on the same day. If a fully completed application form is received after 12pm on a working day then permits will be sent out second class post the following working day.

What if I have not received my permits yet but want to take a van/trailer to a HWRC site?

You will not be able to gain access to the HWRCs without a valid permit.

What is a commercial type vehicle that requires a permit?

If your vehicle is no longer than 5m and no higher than 2.1m (including any attachments) and contains one or more of the following features then it will be classed as a commercial type vehicle where a permit may be granted (to dispose of household waste only):

  • no rear seats
  • no rear and/or side windows
  • open back separate to the cabin (pickups)
  • any vehicle with external sign writing

What happens if I use all my 12 permits in less than 12 months?

The permits allow you to access any of the two HWRCs on twelve occasions in any twelve month period. Once you have used up your 12 visits you will not be able to access any of the HWRCs in Anglesey in your van or with your trailer until the twelve month period has passed. You may apply for new permits once the twelve month period has passed.

What should I do if I have hired a commercial type vehicle?

Access to a HWRC will be granted if you have hired a van or a commercial type vehicle for three days or less (must be no longer than 5m and no higher than 2.1 m, including any attachments). Simply present your hire documents to our friendly staff at the site and this will act as your temporary permit. Large items can be collected using the Council’s bulky waste collection service.

How is the permit scheme monitored?

All vehicles entering HWRCs will be checked to ensure they comply with site rules. Vehicles and trailers will be routinely measured on arrival to ensure compliance and automatic number plate recognition cameras are in use. Height barriers are set at 2.1m at both HWRCs on Anglesey (Gwalchmai and Penhesgyn). All non-conforming vehicles and trailers will be turned away without being able to access the sites.

Apply for your permits

To apply for your permits download the application form below, or if you have any queries:

Call: 01248 752860
Visit: The Waste Management Section, Council Offices, Llangefni, LL77 7TW (between 9.30am - 4.30pm).

Contact Highways and Waste Management

Sustainable Development Directorate
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: General enquiries: 01248 752860
For General enquiries please use the Waste Management General Enquiry Form
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 29 May 2018 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?