This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Planning enforcement

The planning service often receives complaints that a development has taken place without planning permission or that the work carried out is not in line with the planning permission granted.

Whilst a failure to submit a planning application is not in itself an offence, development that is carried out without permission is unauthorised and called a breach of planning control. In extreme cases the development could be threatened with removal or demolition. 

We are obliged to investigate all enforcement complaints and a team of officers respond to such concerns. The enforcement officers have special powers to investigate the uses and ownership of land and they can be contacted via the planning service reception area.

Where breaches of planning control occur the persons responsible have the opportunity to regularise the problem through the submission of a retrospective application for planning permission. In cases where the development is acceptable permission should be granted.

What if action is required?

Having investigated a complaint the council may decide more formal action is required. This will generally take the form of either an enforcement notice or a stop notice. Either action will be based upon the evidence the enforcement officers have collected after investigating a complaint.

Enforcement notice

This notice requires the breach of control to stop and spells out the action required to normalise the situation. 

A stop notice

This strong power is only used in a limited number of cases where a threat is created by someone persistently ignoring the planning rules. Action under this power would be linked to the service of an enforcement notice.

Contact Planning and Public Protection Service

Sustainable Development Directorate
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Main reception: 01248 752428
Building Control: 01248 752222
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 4 November 2008 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?