This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Comment and object to a planning application

The law provides that the County Council - as the Local Planning Authority - must give publicity to all applications
for planning permission. The type and level of publicity will depend on the nature of the proposal in the application.

Generally, the larger the development proposed then the greater the level of publicity required. Regulations and
Welsh Government advice give detailed provisions as to the type of publicity and consultation which may be required.

How do I find out if an application has been made?

There are a number of ways to find out if a planning application has been made:

  • a weekly list of applications received by the Council’s Planning Department can be found on the website and is also kept at the Planning Department’s reception. Please see the address on the right. Any member of the public may visit the reception area to consult the weekly list during normal opening hours
  • you may have seen the application advertised by the Planning Department in a local paper
  • you may have seen a site notice at or near to the application site
  • you may have received a letter from the Planning Department if the application site adjoins or is near to your property

Whichever way the application comes to your attention, the notification will contain a description of the application site, a description of the proposal and the Planning Department’s reference number for the application.

How do I comment / object to the application?

You don’t have to comment on the application if you don’t want to, even if you receive a letter from the
Planning Department. However, you do have the right to make comments if you want to.

Please note that any comments you make must be placed on the application file. The application file is a public document and other members of the public will have a right to inspect it and to see any comments that you make.

If you want to comment to the application, here is what you may want to do:

  • take an opportunity to look at the application. The application file is available to view at the Planning Department from 10.30am to 3pm Make a note of the application details including the reference number and phone the department beforehand to make sure that the file will be available so as to avoid a wasted journey. The file will have the written application on it together with plans and drawings. There may also be comments from other interested parties on the file already.
  • make your comments in writing. Note the application’s reference number on your letter and remember your name and address too. Address your letter to:The Head of Planning Service, Planning Department, Isle of Anglesey County Council, Llangefni, Anglesey, LL77 7TW
  • try and make your comments as early as you can. Although your comments may be made at any time, the earlier you make them the easier it is to assess them as part of the application
  • planning applications can only be decided on planning grounds and taking account of planning matters. Therefore your comments must be about ‘planning matters’. A planning matter is a consideration arising out of the use of the land.

What happens after I’ve made my comments?

The planning officer dealing with the case will take account of what you’ve said together with all other relevant comments, policies and other relevant planning matters. The Planning Service does not have the resources to enter into a dialogue about the merits or otherwise of an application. This will be dealt with in the officer’s report.

Most decisions are made by officers under delegated powers. A report will be placed on file summarising the decision made and the reasons for it and a decision notice will be sent to the applicant. If the decision is made by the Planning Committee, a public report will be prepared for their meeting where Councillors on the Committee will consider and decide the application. The report will include a summary of the comments received. In either case, you can have a look at the application file to see what was decided and what were the relevant planning matters in reaching that decision.

Useful Websites “Planning in Partnership”

Contact Planning and Public Protection Service

Sustainable Development Directorate
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Main reception: 01248 752428
Building Control: 01248 752222
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 21 September 2011 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?