This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Private Water Supplies

A private water supply is any water supply which is not provided by Dŵr Cymru / Welsh Water.

The source of the supply may be a spring, well, borehole or a surface derived supply. The supplies serve a single property or several properties or serve a commercial or public premise.

The legislation applicable to regulating all private water supplies in Wales is the Private Water Supplies (Wales) 2010 and which :-

  • apply to all water intended either in its original state or after treatment and intended for drinking, cooking, food preparation or other domestic purposes. They also apply to all water used in any food production undertaking where products produced are intended for human consumption.
  • stipulate water quality standards to protect the health of consumers of the supply.
  • require the Council to undertake a risk assessment of all shared water supplies and commercial supplies every 5 years and to respond to any request for a risk assessment by the owners or occupiers of a single dwelling.
  • require the Council to monitor all shared supplies and commercial supplies in accordance with the sampling frequencies specified and to respond to any requests by owners or occupiers of single dwellings.
  • requires the council to keep records of all private water supplies in the district and to supply on report of activities undertake to the Drinking Water Inspectorate (DWI).
  • sets out procedures that the Council must follow if the Council considers a private water supply to be unwholesome or a potential danger to human health.
  • makes provision for fees to be charged to owners of private supplies in respect of undertaking various activities or duties required by the regulations.

The Isle of Anglesey County Council has approved charges for undertaking its activities under the Regulations, details of which can be seen in the attachment “Private water supply fees”.

If you require further advice please contact Environmental Health

Contact Environmental Health

Public Protection Department
Regulatory and Economic Development
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
General enquiries:01248 752820
Animal welfare:01248 752866
Housing Enforcement Team:01248 752836/752835
Health and safety:01248 752866
Food Safety Team:01248 752866
Fax:01248 752880
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 19 December 2011 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?