This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Noise control: intruder alarms

Each year the Environmental Health Section get a number of complaints about intruder alarms sounding which give rise to noise nuisance and loss of sleep if they are activated during the night.

The majority of complaints relate to false alarm soundings caused by faults or pets.

The Environmental Protection Act 1990 places a duty on councils to deal with any noise which it is satisfied is giving rise to a statutory nuisance. Intruder alarms which are found to be persistently or repeatedly sounding and giving rise to a statutory noise nuisance can therefore be dealt with under enforcement procedures available to the council.

These procedures will involve the council serving an ‘abatement notice’ and making arrangements with the local magistrate for a warrant to enter the premises where the alarm is sounding. The council will require the services of a lock smith and alarm service engineer in order to assist in silencing the alarm to prevent it causing further noise nuisance to neighbouring residents.

Any costs incurred by the council for silencing alarms in this way will be recharged to the occupier of the premises.

By following the steps below you can prevent your intruder alarm causing noise problems in your neighbourhood and incurring unnecessary costs.

  • ensure your alarm is installed by a qualified alarm engineer
  • look after your alarm - make sure it is maintained
  • make sure your  alarm has a cut out device (20 minutes) to prevent it ringing for long periods
  • register your alarm with this authority using an Alarm Registration Form available by phoning 01248 752820 or download and print a copy of the application form from this page.

By registering your alarm with the council, if the alarm should develop a fault or be falsely triggered, the council will be able to contact your registered key holders for them to switch off the alarm if you are away, without costs or inconvenience to you.

Contact Environmental Health

Public Protection Department
Regulatory and Economic Development
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
General enquiries:01248 752820
Animal welfare:01248 752866
Housing Enforcement Team:01248 752836/752835
Health and safety:01248 752866
Food Safety Team:01248 752866
Fax:01248 752880
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 7 September 2009 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?