This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Voluntary dog registration scheme

Under the Control of Dogs Order 1992, it is an offence to let your dog out in a place of public resort not under your control.

It is also an offence not to have a tag on you dog with contact details. In 1993, the council started a voluntary dog registration scheme to encourage responsible dog ownership. There are now over 3,000 dogs on the register.

How does the scheme work?

Responsible dog owners who live on Anglesey, or who visit for periods of time can register their dog with the council. The dog owner receives a dog tag for their pet and a certificate to show the dog is registered. The dogs’ details are held on a council database, at local police stations and at the kennels used by the council.

How much does the scheme cost?

Two types of dog tags are available for the residents of Anglesey, a plastic tag for £2.00, or a metal “brass” tag for £5.50. The scheme covers the dog for the length of its life (although the council retains the right to remove your details from the register if you abuse the system). The tag has a unique number which is listed on the register. Some people have registered their dogs several times so they can have one tag for each collar or harness.

It is recommended that working dogs have metal tags because they are more durable.

Are there any exclusions?

Yes - the scheme was intended for responsible dog owners who are worried about their dog accidentally straying or escaping. The scheme is not intended as a licence to allow your dog to stray. If you allow your dog to stray continually, then its details may be removed from the register and your dog may be impounded by the dog warden. If the dog is taken to the council’s kennels and listed on the official register of stray dogs, then you will have to pay for its release.

Save yourself time and money - be a responsible dog owner and make sure your dog doesn’t stray!!

What should I do if I realise my dog is missing?

Phone us - please follow the ‘contacts’ tab above. During working hours we will inform the Dog Wardens, outside working hours you will be given contact telephone numbers to try and locate your dog.  Alternatively visit the stray dogs web page. 

Please remember to look at our stray dogs web page as this is updated daily with photographs of dogs that are housed in the kennels.

Although we will make all attempts to re-unite you with your pet, we cannot guarantee this.

How can I join the scheme?

To join the scheme, please complete our application form.

Contact Environmental Health

Public Protection Department
Regulatory and Economic Development
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
General enquiries:01248 752820
Animal welfare:01248 752866
Housing Enforcement Team:01248 752836/752835
Health and safety:01248 752866
Food Safety Team:01248 752866
Fax:01248 752880
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 3 April 2017 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?