Holyhead Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI)
The THI is a £3.2m conservation-led regeneration grant scheme and forms part of a strategy to bring economic renewal to Holyhead Town Centre.
On the 22nd August 2014 the Council hosted an open event at No.19 Stanley Street that allowed people to see how the THI grant has been invested to date across Holyhead town centre, in creating new opportunities for business, supporting existing business and creating homes above shops, as part of improvements to the town’s historic buildings. It also gave the local community an opportunity to influence the future regeneration of the town centre by helping us identify the priorities for potential future grant investment in bringing other town centre historic buildings back into life, in supporting a further application to the Heritage Lottery Fund. Holyhead has a very rich past and by regenerating its most important historic buildings we can enhance local distinctiveness and create a better sense of place, in attracting future investment, visitors and contributing to the future of the town centre. In turn, this will engage people in the varied built heritage that Holyhead has to offer. Details of the outline proposals are provided in the above ‘downloads’ tab.
What is a Townscape Heritage Initiative (THI)?
The THI is a conservation-led regeneration grant scheme and forms part of a strategy to bring economic renewal to Holyhead town centre through building conservation, seeking to deliver the following outcomes:
- to preserve and enhance the character and appearance of the town centre conservation area.
- bring historic buildings back into appropriate and sustainable use.
- safeguard the character of the conservation area through reinstating lost architectural features.
- increase training opportunities in heritage skills
- increase community participation; and
- improve approaches to building conservation management and property maintenance
What will the THI be investing in?
The Holyhead THI is a programme which will deliver around £3.2 million of investment over the next 3 years to;
- tackle a number of dilapidated properties throughout the Conservation Area
- use grant assistance to create exemplar projects for historic building repair and reuse
- is quality-led, focusing on raising standards through the proper conservation of historic buildings
- seeks to embed a longer term approach for managing the Conservation Area
- involves the community in raising their awareness as to the value and contribution of the historic environment
What is the focus of the THI Strategy?
The strategy is divided into 2 streams, one focused on tackling properties and another being ‘softer’ complementary initiatives, both of which have 4 strands.
The properties side of the THI covers;
- Grants towards the 38 priority projects (marked red and orange on the plan overleaf)
- A minor enhancement grant scheme for other properties in the Heritage Clusters (in blue)
- Undertake urgent works grants to tackle long term problem priorities in short term, to arrest decay and secure while longer term proposals are developed
- A small public realm element related to St Cybi’s and the Memorial Gardens
The Complementary Initiatives are focused upon;
- Professional and contractor training related to Heritage Skills
- The maintenance of other properties within the THI, linked to the rapid improvement strategy
- To celebrate Holyhead’s history through a potential Blue Plaques Scheme and Open Heritage Weekend
- To instigate Planning measures, including the use of planning powers and a new shopfronts design guide
Mr Nathan Blanchard, Holyhead THI Project Manager, Planning Services, Council Offices, Llangefni, Anglesey, LL777TW
Telephone: 01248 752461