This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Additional planning controls in conservation areas

There are additional planning controls in conservation areas. These controls are intended to ensure that any change that takes place in a conservation area is suitable and beneficial to the surrounding environment.

Planning controls

  • planning permission may be required if you alter the boundaries of a dwelling house within a conservation area
  • conservation area consent may be needed for demolition or alteration which affects the character
  • consent for work to trees may be required for pruning and felling

There are some conservation areas that have been judged to be so important that they are subject to additional planning controls. This is known as an Article 4 (2) Direction. In Anglesey there is one conservation area with an Article 4 (2) Direction in the town of Beaumaris.

This means that planning permission will be required for any alterations and developments to the frontages and front curtilages of dwelling houses.

The works included are:

  • extending the house
  • building structures or laying hard surfaces within its curtilage
  • changing building materials such as external frames, doors and render
  • painting the house or a building or enclosure within the curtilage of a house (but not re-painting in the same colour)
  • any other alterations to windows and external doors
  • any alterations to its roof including rooflights
  • erection, alteration or removal of a chimney on the house
  • installing a satellite antennae
  • erection, demolition or changes to a gate, fence, wall or other enclosure within its curtilage

Design and materials

It is important to consider the type of design and materials used when constructing a new property or adding an extension to an existing property within a conservation area.

The following points should be considered:

  • siting and massing
  • development type
  • roof shape and rainwater goods
  • windows, doors and porches
  • building materials
  • shop fronts and signage

A new development should fit into a street or area by complimenting the existing character. This may be by using the same materials and design of existing buildings to ensure that the new structure blends into its surroundings.

When carrying out routine maintenance to a building in a conservation area consideration must be given to the materials used in any repair work. Some modern building materials are generally unacceptable on historic buildings in conservation areas as they are generally inappropriate and would not fit in with the original style and appearance of a building.

Contact Planning and Public Protection Service

Sustainable Development Directorate
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Main reception: 01248 752428
Building Control: 01248 752222
AONB Project Officer: 01248 752138
Biodiversity and conservation: 01248 752439
Fax: 01248 752412
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 4 November 2008 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?