This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Privately rented accommodation

There is a good supply of privately rented accommodation in Anglesey and properties are available in most areas.

Renting privately offers:

Choice - a range of accommodation exists with flats and apartments being more readily available in some areas and houses in others

Flexibility - you choose which areas you want to consider

Speed - properties are available now

Furnished and non-furnished properties are available.

Can I afford it?

If you are on a low income, you may qualify for Housing Benefit (please follow the link to the housing and council tax benefit online application form) to help you pay the rent. You can use a Housing Benefit Calculator to get an instant benefit estimate or contact the Council’s Housing Benefit Team. Remember that you will also have to pay other bills such as gas, electricity and water - use the budget calculator to help make sure that you can cover these costs.

Will Housing Benefit fully cover the rent?

The maximum amount of Housing Benefit that can be paid depends on the size of the property that your household needs and is set by Local Housing Allowance rates. Please note that you may not receive the maximum amount as your household income and savings will be taken into account to assess your Housing Benefit claim.

What if I can’t afford to pay a bond?

If you are homeless, or threatened with homelessness, and do not have savings or enough money to pay a bond, contact Housing Customer Services: (01248) 752200 who may be able to help.

They’ll assess your housing needs and if you meet the criteria for assistance, you may be eligible for a loan which can be repaid in instalments to suit you. This fund has strict criteria and is only available if you are living on Anglesey.

If you pay a cash bond /deposit to a landlord they must protect it under one of the Government’s authorised tenancy deposit schemes and tell you within 30 days of receiving it which scheme they have used.

How long will I be able to stay?

Tenancies are generally assured shorthold for 6 or 12 months. They can usually be extended if you haven’t breached the terms of your tenancy agreement. It is important to remember, that once the fixed tenancy term ends unless a new fixed term tenancy is granted, the tenancy still runs on. If you pay rent monthly, the tenancy will run from month to month, if you pay rent weekly, it will run from week to week. When this happens, the terms and conditions will be the same as in your preceding tenancy agreement. The tenancy is referred to as a statutory ‘periodic’ tenancy. As always, contact an advice agency if you need help.

What happens if the landlord wants me to leave?

If the landlord wants you to leave when the fixed term comes to an end, they must give you at least 2 months’ notice that they require possession. They can give you notice at any time during the fixed term, but the date they state possession is required cannot be before the end of the fixed term. If the tenancy is on a contractual period or statutory periodic basis, the date on which the notice expires must be the last day of a tenancy period, and the notice must state that possession is required under Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988.

Do I have to move out when the notice requiring possession expires?

No. The landlord cannot evict you without a possession order from the court. They can apply to the court to start possession proceedings as soon as the notice requiring possession expires. The landlord will not have to give any grounds for possession and they may use the accelerated possession procedure which is also available to them.

When you receive a notice that possession is required under Section 21 of the Housing Act 1988, you should seek advice from if you are concerned that you will not be able to find alternative accommodation by the date specified in the notice.

What about furniture?

Furnished and unfurnished properties are available in most areas of Anglesey.
Furniture Reuse Network and Freecycle may be able to assist with your furniture needs.

Alternatively, you may want to find out whether you are eligible for a Community Care Grant or Budgeting Loan to help with the costs of furniture / household equipment or other costs associated with the move.

How can I find a property?

The Rent Smart Wales website provides details of landlords who are registered, and if necessary, licenced and should therefore provide well managed accommodation. Similarly, the ARLA website provides information about letting agents who meet specific professional management standards.

Isle of Anglesey County Council’s Housing Services are helping landlords to become registered, and if necessary, licenced. Please contact the Private Landlord Liaison Officer on 01248 75 2167

You could also visit Right Move who list private rental properties which are managed by lettings agencies on Anglesey or check in the local press.

Your Money Your Home Project

Working to help tackle the financial exclusion of PRS tenants in Wales, and to prepare people for the introduction for Universal Credit.

Contact Environmental Health

Public Protection Department
Regulatory and Economic Development
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Private Housing Enforcement Team: 01248 752820
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 6 September 2017 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?