Houses in multiple occupation (HMOs)
What is a HMO?
Under the Housing Act 2004 a HMO is
- an entire house or flat occupied by three or more tenants who form two or more households and who share a kitchen, bathroom or toilet
- a house that has been converted into bedsits or other non-self-contained accommodation and occupied by three or more tenants, forming two or more households and sharing a kitchen, bathroom or toilet
- a converted house which contains one or more flats which are not wholly self-contained and which are occupied by three or more tenants occupying two or more households
- a building converted entirely into self-contained flats where less than two thirds are in owner occupation and where the conversion did not comply with the 1991 Building Regulations
The Housing Act 2004 provides for the Mandatory Licensing of certain HMOs
Generally a HMO will need a Mandatory Licence if it is :-
- shared by five or more people who
- share facilities such as a bathroom and kitchen and
- the property has three or more storeys (including basements, attics and commercial units)
(See the link below “Mandatory Licensing of HMOs” for more information about this.)
The Isle of Anglesey County Council Additional Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation Scheme is in operation since the 19th of September 2013.
The Additional Licensing Scheme will cover all HMOs except those subject to Mandatory Licensing or those HMOs exempt under the relevant sections of the Housing Act 2004.
Landlords, persons letting/managing and tenants are advised to seek advice from the Private Sector Housing Enforcement Team on whether their property is covered by the Additional Licensing Scheme.
(See the link below “HMO Leaflet for Additional Licensing” which explains the different types of properties covered by Additional Licensing).
In this section
To apply you will need to:-Print off and fill in the Application Form at the bottom of this page. (If you can’t print off the Application Form then contact Environmental Health (see “Contact Environmental Health” link) and we will send you one.)Advice