This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Empty homes - your options

The Empty Homes Officer can advise you on the various options available.

Empty Property

Sell it

Selling your property can be a highly profitable opportunity.

Estate Agents

Most people looking to buy a property start by checking their local high street estate agents. There is no obligation to sell when getting your property valued and it is recommended you obtain three valuations for a balanced view.


Auctions provide a quick and immediate way of selling; over 25,000 properties are sold annually by auction in the UK.

For more information visit:

Improve it

High street lenders can provide loans so you can improve your property and bring it back into use. This may be difficult if you have insufficient equity as loan security or if you have a poor credit rating. We may be able to help by signposting you to sympathetic lenders.

We may be able to assist you to identify sources of grant funding or loans which could be avilable to you.


Mortgages for renovating empty properties can be hard to find. The problem is that derelict (run-down) properties aren’t worth much until they are renovated.

If you want to borrow money for both buying and renovating a property, you will be asking for more than it’s actually worth in its run down state.

Let it

By letting your property you will start earning money on it rather than losing it.

You could appoint a letting agent to find you a tenant and provide a management service. A percentage of the rent is usually charged and an initial letting fee. More reputable accommodation agencies are registered with one of the organisations listed below. Please see the listed url’s.

You could find a tenant and become a landlord. The Landlord Handbook, produced by ANUK and LACORS is an essential read for all landlords and can be downloaded free.

Do nothing

Not really an option at all when you realise how much it’s costing you to leave the property empty.

Contact Housing Service

Housing Service
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Housing Customer Services: (01248) 752200
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Council Housing Repairs and maintenance: 08081 68 56 52

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 25 January 2012 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?