This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

How to gain access to information

Personal Information

If you are currently receiving or have in the past received a service from Social Services, then we will hold personal and confidential information about you. This information may include your name, address, date of birth and records of events such as meetings, telephone conversations and visits.

Additionally, some information may be received from someone acting on your behalf e.g. family member, neighbour, carer etc. Alternatively, information may be received from other parties such as GP’s, hospital staff, school staff etc.

The Data Protection Act (DPA)1998

The recording, holding, using and disposing of personal information is governed under the Data Protection Act 1998. The information may be held on paper records or electronically on computer.


We will only use the information we hold about you to meet your needs. However, we may at times need to share this information with other Agencies. Such agencies may include other Services within the Local Authority or Health Agencies etc.

Can I Access This Information?

You may submit a written request on paper or via e-mail for access to your personal information.

Please include as much personal data as possible i.e. name, date of birth and address/es whilst you are / were in receipt of a service, as well as specifying what information you wish to see from your records. Please do not be surprised if the Council asks you for more information from you in order to establish that you are who you say you are. This is done to protect your personal information. If you are requesting your children’s information, we may request to see proof that you have parental responsibility for them.

Will I Be Allowed to Read All My File?

Access will only be given to information held on the file which relates to you. We will consider any exemptions under the Data Protection Act 1998 which may apply. 

What Records Will I Not Be Allowed To See?

Access will not be given to information held on your file about other people, unless we have their consent to disclose it. You MAY be able to access information about your children without their consent if they are under 13 and you have parental responsibility for them. Documents received from other Agencies or Organisations may be withheld from disclosure unless prior consent to share the information has been given. 

How Much Will It Cost?

A fee of £10.00 will be payable prior to the release of the requested information. Cheques should be made payable to the Isle of Anglesey County Council. 

How Long Will I Need to Wait For a Reply?

Under the DPA the Council will have up to 40 days to process your request from the date we receive all the necessary information (i.e. your personal details) and payment.

For Further Information please contact:

Mrs Emma Edwards
Deputy Business Manager
Social Services
Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7LT

Tel: 01248 751887


Last update: 24 January 2018 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?