This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Residential and nursing home care

Our aim is to support and maintain people’s independence. We do this through supporting people to live in their homes as long as possible. However, you may be thinking of moving temporarily or permanently into a residential or nursing Home.

How do I choose a residential or nursing home?

This is a very important decision in your life. The assistance of a social worker can help you think this through. Obtaining help to move into a residential or nursing home is dependent on an assessment of your needs, either when you are in hospital or living at home in the community.

In order to obtain an assessment of your needs, you can request this through the ward staff when you are in hospital or you can contact the Social Services Department directly. Please see the contact details on the right.

Different types of residential homes are available if you decide to move from your own home. A social worker will have a relevant list and brochures, and can help you make an informed choice.

A list of homes in your area is also available on the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) website or can be downloaded as a PDF document below.

If you require nursing care, an admission to a nursing home can be arranged by a social worker, following an assessment and consultation with the Health Board’s representatives. The Health Board is responsible for paying the nursing care element of the weekly fee in a nursing home for all residents. The Social Worker can advise you on how to obtain this element of financial support towards the weekly fee.

All care homes must be registered with Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales.

If a residential placement is considered to be necessary, usually a period of assessment will be arranged. This is known as “Intermediate Care”. It is advisable not to give up your tenancy or to arrange for your house to be sold until you are happy with your decision to move. If you are worried about this your social worker will discuss it with you.

How much will it cost?

The amount you pay or contribute towards the weekly fee will depend upon your income and capital. Everyone, however, has to pay a minimum contribution out of their state pension or additional income, but you will be allowed to keep a weekly Personal Allowance to spend as they wish. This Personal Allowance is stipulated by the Department of Works and Pensions, and is altered annually.

The Government set a minimum and a maximum income / capital allowance annually - people who have income or capital below the minimum capital limit will contribute from their pension and qualify for sponsorship by the Local Authority in residential homes and by the Local Authority and the Health Board if they move into a Nursing Home.

People who have income or capital between the minimum and the maximum capital limits in addition to their state pension have to contribute in accordance with a sliding scale. People who have income or capital in excess of the maximum capital limit will not qualify for financial support and will have to pay the fees in full.

If you own your own house, the capital value of the house will be taken into consideration unless you have a spouse or dependent relative living there.

You may feel that you would benefit from our support even if you do not qualify for financial assistance initially. Social Services can:

  • conduct an assessment of your need for residential or nursing care in a home of your choice
  • provide you with a list of the homes available and with brochures and help to select your preferred accommodation
  • advise you about the weekly fees
  • arrange a contact with the Care Home of your choice
  • keep in touch with you and advise you when we estimate that you may become eligible for financial support

This service should help you feel secure in your arrangements for your future care and accommodation.

Who inspects residential or nursing homes?

The Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) is responsible for registering and inspecting homes on an annual basis and copies of their inspection reports are available on their website.

How to register my residential or nursing home

The Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales (CSSIW) is responsible for registering homes.

What do I do if I have a problem with a residential or nursing home?

You can make a comment or a complaint by telephone, by email or by letter by contacting the designated complaints officer.

What other choices are there?

Can I stay at home?

Help at home may be the best option for you. A range of services exist which can provide help in the home. (See our leaflet on community Care Services for further details).

Support for carers:

Cares are entitled to request a separate assessment of their own needs. We will seek to give consideration to the needs of every carer when assessing those in their care. (See our leaflet for further information on Carers Assessment).

Repairs to your home:

If you are thinking of entering residential care because you have a problem repairing or maintaining your home, some help may be available through grants from the Council. On the other hand, your home may be too large or expensive to heat and you would like somewhere smaller and more convenient.

Sheltered or extra care housing:

There are different types of sheltered accommodation available, some with a Warden Service provided by the Local Authority, or Independent Living Units - which also offers a meal service.

Community Alarm System and Telecare Equipment:

A variety of specialist equipment can be fitted in your home e.g. alarms, sensors that have been programmed to notify the Call Centre via a telephone link. (See our leaflet for further information on Telecare Services).


Looking after your pets and property while you are in hospital or care

If you have to leave home to go into hospital or a care home, you will need someone to look after your property including your pets.

Contact Social Services

Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: 01248 752752
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Emergency out of hours tel: 01248 353551

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 6 February 2018 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?