Physical disability and sensory impairment
We are committed to working in partnership with people with disabilities to enable them to achieve independent lifestyles and to become integrated into their community.
Anyone living in the community may become disabled through the sudden onset of illness or accident at any time. People who have a disability invariably find that society is not designed with disability in mind.
On Anglesey, we realise that people with disabilities have the right to build on their strengths and our aim is to help you overcome the difficulties that you face due to the way in which society is organised.
The Housing and Social Services Department has a disability team, staffed with officers who are committed to working in partnership with people with disabilities to enable them to achieve independent lifestyles and to become integrated into their community. The service includes:
- aids / equipment to help with activities of daily living
- environmental and communication aids
- home adaptations
- special needs housing
- employment advice / supported employment
- specialist workers for the hard of hearing
- specialist workers for the blind and partially sighted and support with rehabilitation
- home care services and support workers to assist with personal care and domiciliary care
- day services
- residential and respite services
- occupational and leisure facilities
- Blue Badge Scheme - parking concession
Partnerships with service users
We are committed to user-led service developments. In accordance with this, a Centre for Integrated Living has been established in Llangefni. It offers an information and advocacy service. Specialist staff are also available to advise on training and access to occupational opportunities.
You can download this information via the ‘downloads’ tab above.