This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Learning disabilities

Services are available for people with learning disabilities and their carers on Anglesey.

How are services accessed?

Isle of Anglesey Social Services has a duty under the ‘Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act 1970’ to keep a register of people who have a learning disability on Anglesey.

The definition of learning disability adopted within Anglesey Môn Learning Disabilities Services is that used in ‘Health of a Nation: A Strategy for People with Learning Disabilities (1995).’

  • reduced ability to understand new or complex information, to learn new skills (impaired intelligence) and
  • reduced ability to cope independently (impaired social functioning) and
  • which started before adulthood, with a lasting effect on development

To access services people will need to be assessed against these criteria and their names recorded on the Ynys Môn Learning Disabilities Register.

A multidisciplinary assessment will be undertaken which includes:

  • a social assessment of a person’s needs in relation to maintaining an adequate standard of independent living in the community
  • a nursing adaptive behaviour / skills assessment
  • a psychology assessment of cognitive abilities

What happens next?

Once you are accepted on the Learning Disability Register a social care assessment will be carried out under eligibility criteria for Adult Community Care Services.

A care co-ordinator may then be allocated to:

  • co-ordinate an assessment of the individual and his/her family’s needs
  • develop a care plan
  • implement, monitor and adjust the plan as necessary
  • formally review the plan at least once every year

The level of service provided will be determined by the complexity of need, the need for a multidisciplinary response, and the capacity of the service user and / or carer to manage the identified need. The Learning Disability Team has a number of specialists that can advise and provide these services including:

  • social work case managers
  • health case manager
  • community nurses
  • review and resource co-ordinator
  • occupational therapist
  • speech therapist
  • physiotherapist
  • psychologist

What services are available?

As well as the specific services provided by specialists within the team, people can be helped to access the following services:

  • education / training
  • supported employment in the community
  • day occupational activities
  • supported accommodation
  • respite care
  • home care
  • direct payment
  • advocacy

Carers are also entitled to receive support

A carer is a person who looks after a relative or friend who has a learning disability, and subsequently, may need assistance.

Carers play a crucial role and you have the right to:

  • an assessment of your own needs as a Carer (a Carer’s Assessment)
  • information and advice on what services may be available to you and the person you care for
  • help and support to assist you in your caring role
  • have your views heard and taken into consideration

Contact Social Services

Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: 01248 752752
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Emergency out of hours tel: 01248 353551

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 15 May 2008 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?