Extra Care – independent living for older people
In 2012 it was identified that there was a better way of working and as a result Isle of Anglesey County Council decided to change the way they deliver services and this would be achieved through a Programme Management process.
Three Programmes were developed and one of these Programmes was for Older Adults and the aim of this Programme was to look at all Older Adult Services and change these services for the better. The reasons why the decision was made to change these services included –
- Financial Pressures
- Growing demands
- Change in Public Expectations
Statistics show that by 2033 there will be an estimated 39% increase in the number of older people over the age of 65 living on Anglesey.
Extra Care Schemes
As part of the Older Adults Programme it was decided that another three Extra Care Schemes would be built across Anglesey one in Llangefni, one in Amlwch and one in the South of the island. There is already one on the Island in Holyhead called Penucheldre.
What is an Extra Care Scheme?
- A development which offers a home for life for people over 60 years of age who wish to live independently in a safe and welcoming community with care and support services available on site. A number of similar developments have already been built across North Wales including Penucheldre in Holyhead and Cae Garnedd in Bangor
- The model proposed for Llangefni will be a scheme providing 63 flats being a mix of one and two bedroom properties. It will also include multi-purpose rooms and a cafe and a restaurant open to the public, a garden and rooms for residents’ guests. This is a £10.3m scheme and is funded by Pennaf
Why is the Council developing Extra Care schemes?
- Isle of Anglesey County Council has begun a programme to transform how it provides services for older people and prioritising the best way of providing a combination of accommodation and care
Who is eligible for the scheme?
- People over 60 subject to eligibility criteria
Isle of Anglesey County Council and Pennaf Housing Group are delighted to announce that a new Extra Care facility will be built in Llangefni. The new extra care scheme called Hafan Cefni will be based on the former Ysgol y Bont site across the road from Aldi and Lidl in Llangefni.
Housing and Social Services portfolio holder, councillor Aled Morris Jones said that “Consultation with older people over recent years has shown us that there’s a need to continue to provide them with a diverse range of housing and support options. We’re working hard, with partners like Pennaf Housing Group, to ensure that our older residents are able to live independently and safely in their own communities for a long as possible.”
Anyone wishing to register an interest or find out more information about living at Hafan Cefni when it opens in 2018 can phone 0800 283 5757 or email email@example.com
Virtual external view of Hafan Cefni
Have a listen to what people who live in an Extra Care Scheme have to say:
Other Extra Care schemes: