This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Assessing your home care needs

Most people would choose to continue living in their own homes if possible.

To enable you to do this, it is sometimes necessary for you to receive help and assistance.

The community care services provided by the Ynys Môn Housing and Social Services Department and other providers, endeavour to help you to stay home by providing services which complement and add to the help given by friends and family.

You may need help with getting up and getting dressed, help at meal times or other personal care needs that you can no longer manage yourself. This may be as a result of a disability or illness or loss of mobility through advanced age. In most cases, this service is offered to people who would otherwise have to leave their own homes and live in residential care.

Sometimes, help in the home can be arranged for a short period while people are settling back at home after a stay in hospital, or to give the person caring for you a break from their responsibilities.

The services could include.

  • Home care and personal care
  • Day care
  • Sitting service provided by voluntary groups
  • Meals-on-wheels or frozen food and attending Luncheon Groups (in some areas)
  • Respite care from time to time in residential / nursing homes
  • Carer Support
  • Aids
  • Adaptations
  • Information and advice

How do I apply for a home care service?

Anyone who needs help can contact the Housing and Social Services Department in Llangefni directly by letter or phone (see the contact link at the side of this page) or your GP, friends or family can do this on your behalf. A member of the Social Services staff will arrange to visit you at home to discuss and decide on what services would be most suitable to meet your needs. This process is called an ‘assessment’. You may wish a friend or a relative to be present during the assessment. Remember to tell us if you are dependent on someone else for significant support - we may need to assess their needs as well.

Your home care needs

Once the assessment has been completed and the most appropriate service to meet your needs agreed upon, a Careplan will be drawn up. This careplan will note all your care needs as agreed during the Assessment and will also note the days and timing of any service to be provided. You will be requested to sign the careplan to note that you agree with the service to be provided. You will receive a copy of this careplan.

Who will be providing the home care service?

a) Home Care:

Most of the service provided is for personal care tasks, such as assistance with washing and getting dressed or providing support by preparing food. In certain circumstances, it may be possible to provide some, domestic task. You will have a choice as to who should provide your service. The Home Care Staff of the Social Services or you may wish to select one of the Independent Agencies that have been approved by the Department to provide the service - the choice is yours. Some of the above services can be provided by the Voluntary Sector.

b) Day Care:

The same option is true of day care provision. The Department has three day care centres on Ynys Môn as well as day care provision in any one of the Department’s six residential homes or, you may wish to request a day care service in one of the Island’s privately run Care Homes. Gwynedd and Môn Age Concern also run day clubs and luncheon clubs on Ynys Môn which are very popular.

c) Meals:

The Housing and Social Services Department and the Royal Voluntary Service also provide a meals service in your own home according to your needs.

This may be:

  • A hot meal delivered to your home or
  • We can give you information on the way you can secure a supply of frozen meals to your home

Will I have to pay for services?

Most people who receive a Community Care Service have to contribute towards the cost.

Free homecare support for vulnerable people

The Welsh Assembly Government has allocated funding to Social Services Departments which allows for the provision of free home care support for a period of up to 6 weeks (42 days) to certain vulnerable people who have been discharged from hospital or may require care support at home in order to prevent inappropriate admissions to hospital.

The Department’s normal charging policy will be applied if the need for the service continues after the initial 6 week period.

Who’s eligible to receive free homecare?

  • older people as well as people with disabilities or recovering from illness who have been discharged from hospital having received NHS in-patient care and whose needs have been assessed and meet the Department’s eligibility criteria.
  • people who are assessed as requiring post hospital support services through the Rapid Response Service in order to promote rehabilitation / recovery, safety and independence in the home.
  • people who are assessed and meet the eligibility criteria for a joint health and social care package.
  • older people as well as people with disabilities or recovering from illness who are assessed and require home care support to prevent inappropriate admissions to hospital.


The availability of free home care will not apply to people who are admitted to hospital on a regular or frequent basis as part of their ongoing care arrangements. This includes people admitted for respite care or for ongoing but episodic treatment.

Who do I contact for further information and/or to request a service?

The address and phone number to contact for further information regarding any of the above matters or to request an assessment of your needs is available on the right hand side of the page.

The complaints procedure

The Housing and Social Services Department is anxious to receive feedback from service users as regards the way we arrange services. You are also entitled to submit an official complaint to the Department if you are unhappy with our service.

Contact Social Services

Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: 01248 752752
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Emergency out of hours tel: 01248 353551

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 4 September 2015 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?