Coat of arms
The armorial bearings (coat of arms) of the Isle of Anglesey County Council were granted by letters patent dated 9 April 1954.
Arms: Gules a Chevron between three Lions rampant Or Bordure barry wavy of eight Azure and Argent.
Crest: Out of an Antique Crown Or a demi Dragon Gules supporting a Garb Gold; Mantles Gules Doubled Or
Supporters: On the dexter side a Bull Argent gorged with a Wreath of Seaweed proper and on the sinister side an Heraldic Tiger Sable gorged with a Wreath of Oak also proper fructed Or.
Motto: Môn Mam Cymru (Anglesey, Mother of Wales)
The shield shows the arms formerly used by the Council viz the chevron and lions, gold on red, of the attributive arms of Hwfa ap Cynddelw, founder of the 1 Noble Tribe.
The crest is placed on the closed helm proper to civic arms, with its decorative mantling in red and gold, the main colours of the royal seat of the Princes of Gwynedd until 1277. The Welsh Dragon supports a great golden wheatsheaf in reference to the county’s ancient fertility whereby it was able to sustain Wales in the early wars: this is one of the reasons for its ancient title “Môn Mam Cymru” (Anglesey, Mother of Wales).
The supporters refer to the county’s chief activities and families. The white bull is derived from the Heraldry of the Bulkeleys of Beaumaris, and with its collar of seaweed, typifies the agricultural and seafaring activities of the island. The black heraldic tiger is a supporter of the arms of the Marquess of Anglesey, and his collar of oak refers to Anglesey’s former position as the stronghold of the Druids to whom the tree is sacred.
The armorial bearings were designed by:
Sir Anthony Wagner, Richmond Herald of Arms.