This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Probate, property and possessions - what to do next

When a person dies somebody has to sort out his or her estate.

This person is known as the personal representative (also known as the executor if they are names as such in the will, or the administrator if there is no executor named or no will). It is important to find out if the deceased left a will, and if so, who the executor is.

The will says what should happen to the deceased’s money, property and possessions (know as the estate). The personal representative is responsible for paying all the deceased’s debts, taxes and expenses, including funeral expenses. They make the payments from the estate, not from their own income or savings. Only when these duties are finished can the personal representative share out the rest of the estate to those people entitled to it.

If you are a personal representative you may have to apply for probate. The probate office will give you a ‘grant of probate if the deceased left a will or grant ‘letters of administration’ if there is no will. Your local probate registry will send you the forms you need with notes and guidance on what you have to do.

A useful helpline number is 0845 3020 900 or visit the website

If you have difficulty in dealing with the deceased’s estate or guardianship of their children you should get advice from your solicitor or the Citizens Advice Bureau as soon as possible. You may already have a solicitor you family uses. If not, ask friends or family if they can recommend one. When you contact them remember t o ask about their fees and charges. 

Letting organizations know

When you sort out the affairs of someone who has died, you will need to deal with many organisations. People have different circumstances and the organisations you need to contact will vary. We have listed some of the main organisations you may need to contact.

Pensions, social security benefits and new tax credits

  • the Department of Work and Pension to ensure any state pension payments are stopped.
  • the deceased employer or current occupational pension provider as they will advise if the deceased’s occupational pension can be passed to another family member or surviving civil partner.
  • the deceased’s personal pension provider, if a policy was in place
  • the HM Revenue Customs, if tax credits were in payment (working tax or child tax credits). Not all benefits are covered by HM. The council for housing or tax benefits.
  • Health services
  • tell the deceased’s doctor and any other health service provider they may have used  such as local hospital, dentists and chiropodist
  • return any equipments the deceased may have borrowed from the hospital, clinic or social services
  • cancel any services received from social services such as meals on wheels, transport or home help.

For further information and an useful checklist - see Direct Gov.


There are a number of financial organisations who may need to be informed,. These organisations will probably request to see a copy of the death certificate and include:

  • the Inland Revenue as there may be an Income Tax refund due
  • banks, building societies, credit card companies, insurers, the post office, premium bonds, stock and shares and household bills
  • ask the post office to re-direct the deceased mail or, speak with the registrar about any unwanted junk mail or direct mailing
  • the law states that the registrar who registers the death must tell the Council Tax department of a persons death however, you may wish to contact them directly to discuss any outstanding monies owed, refunds or reductions in council tax charges.
  • depending on the deceased’s circumstances, you may need to speak to a council housing department, housing association, mortgage company or private landlord.
  • tell the deceased’s gas, electricity, water and telephone line provide.
  • cancel any deliveries of heating oil and inform the insurance company the provides the household insurance.

Transport and travel

  • tell the car insurance company. Please note that anyone who is a named driver on the deceased’s car insurance will no longer be insured to drive the vehicle. This is because the person who took out the insurance is not alive to give permission for someone else to drive
  • return the deceased’s car registration documents to the DVLA to allow the change of ownership to be recorded
    cancel or return any travel passes or season tickets. Claim any refunds due.
  • return the deceased’s passport to the UK Passport Agency.

Personal items

Return any library books and cancel membership and send back any membership cards or club or associations and claim any refunds that may be due.

Contact Registrar Service

Registration Office
Shire Hall
LL77 7TW

Holyhead Office:
Tel: (01407) 761102
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Opening hours
Wednesday: 9:30am. - 4pm (J.EO’Toole Centre)
Llangefni Office
Births and deaths: 01248 751925
Marriages: 01248 751926 / 01248 751927
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Opening hours
Monday: 9:30am - 4pm
Tuesday: 9:30am - 4pm
Wednesday: 9:30am - 4pm
Thursday: 9:30am - 4pm
Friday: 9:30am - 4pm

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 14 October 2014 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?