Civil Partnership legal recognition for same-sex couples
Any couple that registers a civil partnership has the same rights as a married couple in areas like tax, social security, inheritance and workplace benefits.
Getting registered in Wales and England?
- get advice and information from Direct Gov
- decide where you want to register. For instance, at a register office or an approved venue like a hotel.
- fix the date, but check that a registrar can attend if you have chosen an approved venue.
- arrange to give notice of your intention to register to the registration authority where each of you live. You each have to give notice at least15 clear days before the date for registering.
- get registered. Sign the legal document in front of the registrar and your two witnesses.
Want more information?
If you want more information about what is involved in registering a civil partnership, or the rights and responsibilities which follow from it, go to the Women and Equality Unit website.