Development of Anglesey's Coastal Environment Project (2009 - 2015)
The Development of Anglesey’s Coastal Environment Project aspires to harness and support the development of the Island’s unique coastal characteristics to capitalise upon current and future levels of leisure, recreation and tourism.
The aim of the Project is to develop on-shore and off-shore facilities to maximise economic benefits and impacts from the coastline of Anglesey.
The Project’s priority activities can be summarised as:
- enhancing the standard and availability of maritime infrastructure to provide increased opportunities for people (both local and visitors) to participate in recreational activities;
- improving opportunities for people to access coastal zones, including improved or new infrastructure;
- embracing the Island’s historical, cultural and environmental assets, supported by an improvement in the provision of information and interpretation;
- improving facilities on the coast to promote and supporting clusters, supply chains and business opportunities;
To fully capitalise upon the current and increasing popularity of coastal activities on Anglesey, and to ensure the realisation of the economic potential of coastline, the Isle of Anglesey County Council strongly believes that significant investment is required to further enhance, develop and integrate the Island’s unique leisure, recreation and tourism attributes.
The total costs of the Project are £6,900,000, which consists of funding secured from the West Wales and the Valleys EU Convergence Programme; the Welsh Assembly Government’s Department for the Economy & Transport (including the Môn a Menai Programme); the Welsh Assembly Government’s Targeted Match Fund (TMF); and the County Council.
The Project will implement a variety of innovative activities at key, strategic locations around the coastline of Anglesey - enhancing the standard and availability of coastal recreation infrastructure to provide increased opportunities for people (both local communities and visitors) to participate in activities at key locations around the coast.
It is expected that during the project lifespan it will:
- provide enhanced and/ or new coastal recreation infrastructure;
- provide support for existing and new local maritime businesses;
- improve direct and/ or in-direct employment opportunities within the marine leisure sector;
- provide improved opportunities for participation in physical activities which will lead to improvements in social inclusion, health and well being;
- improve the appeal and reputation of Anglesey as a tourist destination;
- provide facilities to sustain Anglesey’s coastal towns and villages;
- promote and engender a strong local maritime leisure interest;
- embrace Anglesey’s maritime culture and history (including the Welsh language) and engender pride in the local environment.
Through developing the outstanding natural environment, the project will improve the appeal and reputation of Anglesey as a tourist destination and provide facilities to sustain the overall quality of the island’s coastal towns and villages. The project will also support and encourage businesses to capitalise upon the significant opportunities arising from coastal activities and marine leisure with recognised growth potential.
All of the Project’s capital and revenue activities have been developed in accordance with the Convergence Programme’s cross cutting themes; whilst the Project Team gives full regard to WEFO’s Equal Opportunity and Environmental Sustainability recommendations.