This site uses cookies (small files stored on your computer) for basic functions and to help us make your experience better. You can find out more on our Privacy and Cookies page.. Some parts of the site may not work properly if you choose not to accept cookies and by continuing to use this site you agree to our Privacy and cookies policy.

Council Services:

Local housing allowance : guide for landlords

The Local Housing Allowance (LHA) is a way of deciding rent payments for people receiving Housing Benefit (HB).

It has not replaced Housing Benefit.  It uses a flat rate allowance based on the size of the tenant’s household and the area in which they rent property to decide the amount of benefit they will receive.  This amount is not directly related to the rent that you charge so the benefit that your tenants receive may be higher or lower than the contractual rent.  The rate of LHA that customers receive will be reviewed on an annual basis.

Other circumstances, such as the money that the tenant has coming in or other people living in the household, will still affect the amount of benefit paid so the tenant may not always receive the full rate of LHA.

What does the LHA scheme cover?

The scheme applies to Housing Benefit customers in the deregulated private sector and mainstream private tenancies only.

If you are a landlord providing accommodation in one of the following types of tenancy, your tenants are exempt from receiving the LHA:

  • Registered social landlord tenancies;
  • Protects cases, such as supported housing provided by certain local authorities, social landlords, charities and voluntary organisations;
  • Tenancies which are excluded from current rent restrictions (such as pre 1989 tenancies);
  • Exceptional cases the rent officer judges that a substantial part of the rent is attributable to board and attendance (e.g. hotel accommodation which already exists in the private sector).

Customers renting within these sectors continue to receive Housing Benefit calculated under existing rules.

What do you define as the mainstream private sector?

If you are a landlord who lets accommodation in the sector deregulated by the Housing Act 1988, then we consider this as the mainstream private sector.

What are the rates based on?

Different LHA rates apply in different areas.  Within those areas, they are based on the median rent charge by landlords in the private sector for properties of various sizes.  LHA rates are further broken down into ‘Room Rates’ that apply depending on the size of the household, including any non-dependants.  Size criteria is based on allowing one bedroom for:-

  • Every adult couple
  • Every other adult who is not part of a couple
  • Any other adult aged 16 or over
  • Any two children of the same sex
  • Any two children regardless of sex under age 10
  • Any other child

The number of living rooms, kitchens and bathrooms is ignored for the purpose of the size criteria.

Further Information

If you want more information on any matters, please contact the Housing Benefit service.

You may find it helpful to talk to a welfare rights organisation, such as Citizens Advice. You can get their details from the phone book.

Remember that this information is only a guide. They are not meant to say exactly what your legal rights are. While we have tried to make sure that the information  is correct, it is possible that there may be incorrect information or some ideas may be oversimplified. Also, please remember that the information on these pages and the FAQs are likely to become less accurate over time because of changes to the law.

Contact Housing Service

Housing Service
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Housing Customer Services: (01248) 752200
Council Housing Repairs and maintenance: 08081 68 56 52 (24 hours)
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg

Contact Finance Service

Isle of Anglesey County Council
Council Offices
LL77 7TW
Tel: (01248) 752658
Croesawir galwadau yn y Gymraeg
Email:Council tax/Business Rates
Email:Council tax benefits

Useful information

Mae'r dudalen yma a'r dogfennau cysylltiedig ar gael yn y Gymraeg. Defnyddiwch y ddolen "Cymraeg" ar ochr dde'r bar uchaf.

Last update: 21 April 2011 Give feedback on this page
Bookmark with:
| More |

What are these?